cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

wishworks

Quitting is a piece O' Cake

Quitting is not that bad....a few days of active vigilence and presto you are a non-smoker'I am a pack a day addict of 45 years in this nasty ass habit. I quit for 5 months last year after a near fatal fall and Chantix

Chantix made me crazy...the psycho b""""" from hell!

My belief is quitting is not that bad...we are hyper vigilent for that first week..the nicotine is gone after a few days.. for the most part

a few epson salt baths and it is out of your skin as well..

The real work is everyday thereafter.... after you initially quit....NEVER let your guard down...NOT ONCE!

It can get you...The habit... if you relax...PERIOD!

I believe the work begins every day and wonder if it ever goes away...tell me it does!.

Those 10 minutes of breathing and waiting for the urge to pass..is what addiction is about...

that visitor that sneaks in your mind, tempts you.. if you take your eye off the prize...HEALTH

So I am about to quit again....everyday, at every impulse to smoke...and I hope to hold onto the reality

Quitting is easy!

WishWorks just now

6 Replies
Carol6

It may be easy for some, but not everyone.  Hope all is well with you @wishworks 

Carol
There is always someone who needs your attention on ex. Let's ensure everyone has someone supporting them.
0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

@Carol6 , I think there was a bit of sarcasm here if you note, all the difficulties along the way while eating cake.  It is not easy but doable.

0 Kudos
aham

You are right, even though one may break their dependence on nicotine by kicking it out of the system, what scares me is what comes after.  Every time one suppresses their urge to smoke, it is like quitting again. When do the urges go away 😞

Barbscloud

@aham The cravings will subside as you move along in your journey.  It can take some time for the psychological part of quitting to get easier.   But we have to always remain vigilant.  Memories of smoking can come out of no where.   Concentrate on one day at a time and don't look to far into the future at first. 

It takes work, especially in the beginning,  but it will get easier.  You can do this and we're here to support you.  Stay close and reach out anytime.

Barb

sGK4800_

I quit once using Chantix, even though the Chantix made me constantly feel sick.  A few weeks after quitting, I found an unopened pack of cigarettes lying on the floor of my closet.  Thought I could just smoke one or two, what a joke on me.  The next time I tried Chantix, it made me crazy as a loon.  I understand Wishworks approach, it truly is a matter delaying gratification until the urge passes.  But who doesn't like gratification -  it's hard to resist.

0 Kudos
VickiM

I tried chantax for 2 weeks. About 3 days in of taking 1mg in the morning and 1mg at night, I was so sick. I definitely couldn't smoke if I wanted to, and it made me super tired. Not to forget a BIt## with a capital C if you know what I mean. Ugg, I just yelled about everything. It took too a week after I stopped taking it to feel somewhat normal. But I still didn't start back. It did work. Now, the mornings are the absolute worst and after dinner. It's been 16 days, and they can get as bad as day one. I pray this goes away, and my new normal is not smoking when I want.