cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

andrew3

How I have been successful in my quit.

Everyone has different experiences during their quits. Some find it easier, and some found it hard. I am going to try and make a list of how I was able to be so successful in my quit so far.

1. Used nicotine lozenges. I found these were a great way to keep my mouth busy and mind off of smoking by switching it from cheek to cheek.
2. I purchased mint flavored tooth picks. This was so I could feel that tingle menthol used to give me.
3. placed my smoking aids in the places I am at for extended periods of time.
4. Made discussions, and blogs almost everyday for the first week and a half. Found posting my feelings helped a lot with cravings and kept me positive.
5. read other posts and discussions when I felt a craving.
6. Found people that had quit near me or a week ahead, and decided if they can do this then so can I. Also I found my Mother Hen (Edith, and Anna) and when I was feeling down or a craving I would read their posts, and would sometimes send an e-mail.
7. At a week and a half I developed a sore under my tongue from the lozenge, decided I would lower my dosage from 4mg to 2mg and cut down the amount used.
8. day 12- day 16 . Have started to feel more down, and lethargic. Do not feel the energy to come and post here. Room has become messy and clean many times. Car is still clean. Still ahead in homework. This is because I have forced myself to continue. I do not want to let myself fall into a deep depression and have to find a way out. Did not feel like smoking, but had constant dreams about it.
9. Started to feel extremely guilty for not posting, or helping others in their quit. I still however cannot find the will power in myself to come back to the site. I think it is because I feel guilty and stupid for being so up and positive, and then so down, and upset.
10. Day 20-present. I feel so sick now. I have come down with a cold, or flu. I do not even think about smoking anymore, however I feel so low on energy again. I do not believe it is depression though; just the cold. I am going to see my girlfriend again tomorrow which will be great, and I realize I cannot feel guilty about not posting anymore. I just have to come back when I am ready, and check in to let people know I am OK, but I cannot let myself feel like I am letting anyone down, because this is my quit, and there is no need for any added pressure.

Here is to three amazing weeks. Thank you all for your great support. I hope this post might help some people who just started their quit.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
laura30

it's all about me Pictures, Images and Photos

I found this one for you!! This is ALL about you!! Take what you can from the site and leave what you can - but most of all be true to you!!

Feel better and safe traveling!!
betsy2

So true! As Laura said, it is all about you and no one should feel
guilty whatsoever. All are rooting for one another and know that
it is after all, our "own" journey.
0 Kudos
edith2

I am so proud of you. You took full advantage of this website and went to great lengths to quit smoking. You've had a great attitude, great support(your girlfriend), and talked about the rough times you've had quitting. I think you've set a great example of a successful quit. You're truly a winner. We all are. Every day we don't smoke, we are winners.
0 Kudos