cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

bill24

Hello All

I just joined Become An Ex! I noticed the ads on TV about the time that I started Chantix for my 2nd time.

My first time was 1 year ago this month. I never finished the program because the Chantix REALLY interfered with my sleep. I noticed some additional dreaming but not the "weird stuff" I've heard others talk about. I simply could not sleep through the night, I would wake up several times in the middle of the night and have difficulty in getting back to sleep if I was able to go back at all.

I've noticed similar but not as severe sleeping issues this time around as well but I am determined that I am going to quit smoking this time even if I don't get any sleep.

I've started taking Melatonin (from the vitamin aisle) and that seems to be OK. My problem is typically not getting too sleep though, it's staying asleep.

Anyone else had similar issues? Anything working for you? Any advice at all is appreciated!

Good Luck Everybody! We can do this!
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
stefan2

I had the exact same issue the first time I took Chantix. I would have these bizarre, vivid dreams (one where I was drinking coffee with a Tyrannasaurus Rex at a cafe in Paris) and then I would be awake. I would wake just about every hour and be awake 15 minutes at a time, so 45 of sleep out of every hour for my 6-7 hours when I try and sleep.

It was miserable, especially when you throw in my long commute and work day.

The second time I used Chantix, I didn't have this problem. I didn't do anything different but it worked out ok.

I've had a lot of friends that swear by melatonin when they were working the night shift and needed to sleep during the day. Hopefully the second time works out better for you!

Good Luck!
0 Kudos
scott21

Yeah ... My second time on Chantix too .... I quit using it because I was getting depressed for no good reason ... doctor told me to cut the pills in half (one pill a day) and that seems to help. Sleeping issues happen on Chantix ... ZYBAN was way worse for night mares ... I at about 5 or 6 cigs/day but I often smoke only a third.
0 Kudos
Jaded

3rd day of smoke free for me, this is the first time I've taken Chantix and so far haven't had any side effects to note. Count myself as one of the lucky ones..I read about all the serious side effects that can happen and it did scare me, but smoking any longer wasn't an option and cold turkey I can't stomach. I think maybe trying some extra exercise throughout the day may help in getting you to sleep through the night. Lots of luck! 😃
0 Kudos
twlghtangel

hi i was a chantix user quit for 63 days..but after getting off the chantix,,i had horrible after affects,, started smoking,,, now trying again but will try inhalers,,, i'm not sure how this posting works ..i see its not a chat room,,wich it was,, i'm not good at typing letters and just telling my thoughts
0 Kudos
val_b

20hrs on chantrix, I just reading your responses, I did have a vivid drean last night...I'am still going to take the pills...If the nausea or dreams get worse, I'll cut the pill in half.
0 Kudos
melissa41

The 1/2 is OK....but you SHOULD follow the directions. The pill works with the neuro receptors in your brain. So if you inly take 1/2, you're only getting 1/2 the effect (this is what my pulmonologist told me)

But the nausea and night mares are horrid....especially the nausea, So my Dr. put me on 0.5 mg 4 x a day instead of moving up to 1.0 mg 2x a day. And it seems to be working really well.

It just scares me because Chantix is a fairly new drug, and who knows.....in a few months it can be pulled by the FDA saying it's killing your liver or something....so I really believe you ALL should follow the directions AND talk to your Dr.s about the right dose for you.....I did and I'm really happy with the results.
I'm not TOTALLY smoke free (I do bend sometimes) but plan to be by next friday!!!
0 Kudos
diana11

Hi
I take remeron at night its a sleep aid, so i didnt experience that problem. I was going to suggest an over the counter sleep aid. Even if its for a few weeks. Good Luck
0 Kudos
diana11

I could only take 1/2 in the am and 1/2 in the pm. I stopped using it after about a month. It does work if you can get past the side effects. At least for me. I am smoke free for 6 weeks and 2 days. Good Luck To All
Diana
0 Kudos
branden

This is my second time with Chantix as well and I am also going with a half dose. I smoke Ultra Lights and dont have a need for nicotine as bad and think Chantix is made for heavier smokers on the full dose. I think its working so far.
0 Kudos