cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

zen-blondism

day 1 on Chantix

It's only been three hours since I woke and took my first dose. I had my last cup of coffee and morning cigarette at my dining room table. Tomorrow it will be tea and, I am no longer smoking indoors. I immediatley felt dizzy and a little sick. It wore off within about 10 minutes. I just had a second smoke and again got hit with the dizziness and wierd feeling in my stomach again. If this gross feeling comes over me every time I light up I don't think I will want to continue smoking for the allowed week.
Anyone else get immediate advers response to lighting up on this?
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
12 Replies
shilohshan

I wish Igot that effect. I do not have any side effects! But I thinkI am odd.
zen-blondism

I know I am odd.
=P
No vivd dreams for you either?? I 'm kinda nervous about this one in particular. I have only read about people who have had them.
I already walk and talk and occasionally eat in my sleep. My poor poor husband if the vivid dreams amplify this. I may have to move downstairs for a month.
Wish him luck!
rob17

You need to take it with food. Or, better yet, about 15 minutes after eating. Don't just get up and take the med. You'll get sick every time.

As for adverse affects of smoking on Chantix, I wouldn't think you'd have hardly any on the first day of taking it. For me, along about the fourth day, I started getting less and less enjoyment from smoking. No dizziness or sickness at all.

Good luck!
Rob
zen-blondism

Thank you!
I will have a bagel or something tomorrow for sure. It's healthier anyway. Something about coffe and cigarettes that has always ruled out breakfast. On to higher life.
=P
louise3

I was suprised that by day 5 or 6 I had already cut more than half back without really thinking about it on Chantix. I have also been using the online support program every day. As cheesy as it seems, I figured that they were the experts and I did every activity they suggested. So far, I've been smoke free for a few days and very little cravings! It seems a little too good to be true. You will definitely need to eat though, even a little yogourt cup has worked for me and lots and lots of water. And no real tummy aches! Good luck!
zen-blondism

Thank you,
It's morning two and slightly hellish so I have already smoked 3 cigs. I know I 'm alllowed to continue smoking for a week but I was already beating myself up about it. This was a reminder that this isn't about will power....yet... and that Chantix will start picking up the slack in a few days.
Thank you , thank you , thank you!!!!!!
0 Kudos
rob17

Don't beat yourself up. There's a reason why they say to take Chantix for a week before you quit. It's not so you can get in those last few before you start depriving yourself 🙂 It's because it takes about a week to reach the levels needed for the drug to efficiently block the nicotine receptors in your brain.

It's good that you're conscious about how many you're smoking, but don't worry about it. Pick a date (one week would be June 26 or so) and plan accordingly. Also, there's tons of support here if you need it.
zen-blondism

Thank you,
My quit date is the 26th and I can't even begin to tell you how much support this site has been already. I have only been up here in my office for about 30 minutes and already The snakes all over my head are starting to look like hair again.
=P
krystlewing

Yep, I think that's the point, but you are obviously more sensitive to it. I suspect you tend to be more sensitive to most drugs/medicines if you look back at your history, if you ahve any on it, lol. Hang in there, I hear the effects should only last a few days.

I began to smoke in a totally different place than usual and during my quit time I stayed away from the place I would normally go outside FROM, usually the living room. I don't like my place smelling like cigs so I always smoked outside. So great now that I have quit I don't have to clean that up too, lol.

Congrats on quitting, keep it up...quitting that is. 🙂 Krystle Wing