cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kelly4

New to Become an EX

Hi Moms,
I'm a 33 year old mom of 3 children. A 12 year old girl and 2 boys, age 9 and 2. I have been smoking since I was a teenager. The longest quit I had was for 7 months during my last pregancy. I enjoyed not smoking but I couldn't shake the feeling that something was missing from my life. I started smoking just 3 days after he was born.
I need to quit. Since my daughter is becoming a teenager, I need to set a proper example for her, and I would like to live long enough to see my kids grow up. Problem is, deep down, I don't really want to quit. I still enjoy smoking and I can't imagine how I can live my life without smoking. I guess I'm afraid of the unknown. How can I make myself want to do this?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
jennifer26

Please don't take this as high and mighty or anything, because I'm also a 33 year old mom who quit a few days ago. I enjoyed the act of smoking, too. Here are a couple of questions to get you thinking toward quitting:

1. Do you enjoy the ache in your chest?
2. Do you enjoy the cough?
3. Do you enjoy the smell on your clothes and hair?
4. Do you enjoy having to deal with nic fits?
5. Do you enjoy having to shell out more money as the price goes up?
6. Do you enjoy having to plan out the logistics of smoking and what to do when you can't smoke somewhere?

Believe it or not right now, but quitting can greatly simplify your life. Your body and brain might tell you otherwise during the first week or so, but giving it an effort might surprise you. Best wishes with quitting, Kelly.
0 Kudos
kelly4

You're right. There are a million reasons I have for quitting yet the only reason I have for smoking is that I'm too scared to live without it. I don't enjoy the coughing, the CPAP machine I now have to sleep with since I stop breathing at night. I don't enjoy watching my 2 year old put a straw in his mouth and pretend to smoke! Yet every day I am out in the garage smoking! I just don't understand how I can be in such a battle with nobody but myself! I am the one who is controlling this, no matter how much I say that the cigarettes control me, I am the one who goes to the store like a stupid servant to pick them up! I get so angry with myself for allowing things to get this way!!
0 Kudos

You are right. You are your worst enemy and the hardest battle you will ever be in is with yourself!!!! BUT WE ALL FEEL LIKE THAT AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER!!! You are strong enough to quit, you just have to confence yourself that you are!!! Think of other things that you think you could not do ( make them easy things at first) then do them. This will start building your confidence!! I went to the extreme and went sky diving!!! I was freaked out in the plane but it was really fun once I relaxed alittle. Now I know that since I jumped I could do anything!!!
0 Kudos
wendy11

I am a mom of a soon-to-be 20 year old (I'm 39) who has begged me to quit countless times since she could talk. I did quit once for almost 3 years, but went back. It took only one cigarette, just one, and I was off to the races. Now health issues should be an additional reason to quit, but I like smoking. That's the truth of it. But I need to quit. It's just another excuse. It's just so hard...
0 Kudos
mykidsmom

I completely sympathize with you. You sound just like me. I knew I had to quit smoking for my health, the health of my family and the cash! I tried and failed and tried and failed. This last time I quit I decided I didn't want to ever go through this again! 183 days later... All I can say is I am so much happier now! I never realized before how much smoking controlled my life. I didn't enjoy activities or events because all I could think about was when/where/how I was going to have my next cigarette. Talk with your doctor and maybe you can use a replacement therapy like I did. (Me & Chantix disagree...) I'm sure that you will find something that works for you. Keep your head up. If you can raise 3 kids - you can do this too.
Abby
Mom of 7 y/o boy and 2 y/o boy/girl twins.
0 Kudos
dessa

Amen! Deep down, I don't want to quit either.....I know I have to, I know it is best for me and my family. The trouble is my inner child rebels---my logical side has decided though that it is time I grow up & stop living for me.
0 Kudos
cindy4

Jennifer I feel like you I am tried of smelling smoke
0 Kudos
cindy4

I'm not sure what method to go with in the problem some on the market put more inmy body than I would take in on my own. What do you suggest!
0 Kudos
cindy4

What method are you going with. Some add more in my body than I would put in.
0 Kudos