cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Started Chantix yesterday

I started Chantix (for the third time) yesterday, so my quit date is next Saturday, February 2nd.  I am ready now; don't think I was (no, I know I wasn't) the first two times.  The only real side effects I had were the vivid dreams, not nightmares, just very vivid dreams.  I can handle those better than coughing and not wanting to walk with my husband and dogs because I can't keep up (and I'm only 49).  I look forward to your stories, and support.  Joan

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
lonit1973

Hi Joan I stared chantix for the 3rd time on tues jan 22 so my quit day is this comeing tues. I am more determined this time and also just having the vivid dreams and maybe more sleep?? I have cut down alot and I am fearful of having that last cigarette but I am so ready! Id love to keep hearing how your doing and wish you the best! Loni

0 Kudos
jim_ohio

good luck to the newbies who started chantix.............you will succeed this time.......read read and more read......i am allready starting the weening off chantix............it has been a long time 6 weeks, when i was also worried about that last cig.........you will forget about all the cigs......your bodies will start healing after your last cigarette.........rarely have urg now....just some thoughts here and their........jim ohio

0 Kudos
nanawendy

I have been on Chantix for over a month and have been smoke free for 30 days !!  The only side effect I am having is nausea. It is really bad sometimes and not so bad at other times, Any one else having this problem and what are you doing to help ?? 

0 Kudos
kelly9

It is quite normal to be extrememly tired and find it difficult to focus.

a) your body is healing (+ the tablets make you tired)

b) the neurons in your brain are relearning how to do things without cigarettes (+ the tablets have a relaxing effect (dopamine) making you content to do nothing)

Stick with it and when you are over the initial Nicotine withdrawal and have some quit under your belt you can ween yourself off the tablets and the side effects also.

Make the most of all the added rest - go with it!!!!

I am down to 1mg a day now and feeling fantastic!

Good luck!

0 Kudos
kelly9

It is quite normal to be extrememly tired and find it difficult to focus.

a) your body is healing (+ the tablets make you tired)

b) the neurons in your brain are relearning how to do things without cigarettes (+ the tablets have a relaxing effect (dopamine) making you content to do nothing)

Stick with it and when you are over the initial Nicotine withdrawal and have some quit under your belt you can ween yourself off the tablets and the side effects also.

Make the most of all the added rest - go with it!!!!

I am down to 1mg a day now and feeling fantastic!

Good luck!

amy158

I am taking Chantix and I quit smoking on February 4th.  WOO HOO!  I don't have problems with vivid dreams but the nausea is something else.  I have to eat  before I take it or forget it!  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Olivia8

I had extreme nausea off and on for the first 3 weeks of taking Chantix, I almost stopped taking it. I decided I would rather be sick and not smoking than sick while still smoking, so here I am Day 5 of being a non smoker. I will say, the medication seems to be calming down as my body gets used to it. No sickness anymore, so that's great! My Doc told me to take it with a FULL meal, not a snack and TWO 8 OZ. glasses of water, not just ONE 8 OZ. glass like the directions state. This has helped a ton I believe, as it must lessen the negative impact this drug has on our systems. Congrats to everyone for sticking with it and are now smoke free!!!!!

kinderbee1

To those who are having problems with nausea this is what I have learned. I start to eat take my Chantix and then finish eating. It has helped a whole lot. I hope you feel better soon.

0 Kudos
moose1

went to doc yesterday, started taking chants today. hope this helps. been smoking 2 packs for 40 years Set my quit date for June 1

0 Kudos