cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

lauren16

I am going to fill a Chantix RX today...

Does the pill make you gain weight? Or do people gain weight because they're eating instead of smoking? I know that people have weird dreams, and get depressed, headaches, throwing up... is weight gain included in that list of side effects? I'm just curious... I joined a fitness center, so I'll be exercising... but I'd like to know if my weight loss is going to be limited by this pill... I'm trying to loose weight, not gain any.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
rob17

Hi Lauren,

I haven't seen anything that would suggest that weight gain is a side effect of Chantix. It is certainly a side effect of eating 🙂

It's is very, very common for people to gain weight when quitting smoking. I know of few people who do not (initially) gain some weight. The fitness center sounds like a great idea for keeping off any extra pounds, but I don't think Chantix would affect your weight one way or the other.
0 Kudos
barbara42

I AM ON MY FIFTH WEEK OF TAKING CHANTIX, AND I HAVE ONLY GAINED FOUR POUNDS. THE CHANTIX DOES NOT MAKE YOU GAIN WEIGHT, THE EATING ANY THING TO NOT SMOKE DOES. I AM TRYING TO WATCH WHAT I EAT BUT FOR THIS FIGHT,BATTLING CIGERETTS COMES FIRST. LUCK AND GOD BLESS
0 Kudos
karina

As long as you exercise you will be fine. Chantix does not make you gain weight, however you might have side effects from it. I had some nausea and it was hard sometimes to go to the bathroom. I found that if I cut out my nightly pill that my side effects went away. You might be different though. Just stick with it and you will be fine 🙂
0 Kudos

I didn't gain any weight in fact I lost weight. This was due to me increasing my activity to keep me from smoking. The dreams are possibly the worst part. They are vivid and will get to you, but after a couple of weeks give or take a day or two they disappear. I also got the worse case of gas while I was on it. To keep from gaining weight join a gym or start biking around town, if possible. It will help kill the urges and build the cardio damaged from smoking.
0 Kudos
lauren16

Thanks to everyone who responded... I'm working on getting the perscription approved through my insurance, so I'll hopefully be starting it tomorrow. 🙂
0 Kudos
daniel4

what kind of dreams>?
0 Kudos
janie5

Hi Lauren....it is true Chantix doesn't make you gain weight....quitting smoking does for some people. I am one of those that have gained about 13 pounds in 7 weeks....YIKES! I'm working on that now with an extra day at the gym and walking EVERYDAY instead of three times a week....and tying my hands behind my back so I can't put food in my mouth....just kiddin'. It is definitely my own doing and I know it so I'm working it out with carrots instead of candy.

The vivid dreams have been referred to by many as WACKY DREAMS....I found them entertaining nothing scarry about them just very REAL. Gas....oh yes! Upset stomach.....never had it because a friend warned me to take it RIGHT AFTER having a meal.

Do HOLLER here anytime you have a question.....we are always ready to give you an answer.

Good Luck!

I have now stopped smoking for 1 month, 3 weeks, 2 days, 13 hours, 57 minutes, 10 seconds. That translates into 773 cigarettes NOT smoked, for a savings of $164.42! At 5 minutes per cigarette I have increased my life expectancy by 2 days, 16 hours, 28 minutes, 36 seconds.

Get your quit meter ...... http://www.tobaccofreeguam.org/meter.htm
0 Kudos
joyce9

Good luck with the insurance they wouldnt pay for mine. i just started the 2nd month at 146.00. but i tell myself it will be well worth it in the long run. and will pay for itself after a few months of not smoking. Good luck
0 Kudos
lauren16

They did approve it, you should call the insurance company directly. That's what I did. They faxed a sheet to my doctor to fill out. They asked why he was perscribing it and past medical history - only like 5 questions. Then he faxed it back and they approved. I'm only paying $22/month for the Chantix. Even so, it WILL pay for itself either way and it IS worth it! 🙂 I'm on my 4th day now of not smoking, and it feels really good.
0 Kudos