cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

sherri10

So glad to find a 12 step smoking forum!!!!!

I was looking through the different groups at become an ex.

Thank God I found you guys! I've been relieved of a lot my other addictions through a 12 step program for 11 years now. I haven't been able to find a 12 step smoking program around here! All the sites I've seen say "Will Power, Will Power". One person blasted me for saying that I'm powerless over my addiction! 'It's all about will power,blah, blah, blah'. The 12 steps have helped my with a lot of my problems that I couldn't deal with any other way, including smoking.

Thank you, thank you for being here.

(Huge sigh of relief)

Sherri
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
5 Replies
mr1957

Hi Sherri
For me it's not even about the substance, it's about my addict nature. I can get strung out on about anything as long as it's bad for me...lol I'm powerless over my addiction. Nicotene is a symtom of my disease. The way I think and act towards life is my real problem!!! Good luck and welcome to our little group.
0 Kudos
sherri10

I get you about the substance thing. For me, it's my ENTIRE LIFE that I'm powerless over! Sometimes I don't even feel like getting out of bed in the morning. I ask God to help me. He says, "OK, just get up and brush your teeth. We'll figure out what you're going to do next after you're done brushing your teeth."
0 Kudos
edith2

Finding this discussion is a big relief to me. I've been blasted for disagreeing with the group of Tokers not Smokers. I was ready to leave this site. But finding out that there are people who know about substituting one drug for another; now I feel comfortable staying. I really do want to participate and do what I can to help others quit smoking. Thank you so much.
0 Kudos
bonnie4

Hey Guys!
Glad to find people like me! I agree with the "addict nature" thing. For me, it's about more than just substances. I can get addicted to a relationship, my feelings, whatever. Anything that I focus on that gets me out of reality and unmanageable is using for me. I have worked the steps on quitting smoking just like I did when I got clean and it is still working. Still smoke-free and grateful!!!

13 weeks, 4 days, 6 hours, 20 minutes, 52 seconds smoke-free. 2,381 cigarettes not smoked. I've saved $675.01 since quitting.
0 Kudos
jeangray19

I have been sucessful using the 12 step program in other areas of my life. I've started working the steps on smoking too - but I was just wondering if there's anything you guys did in the first couple of days? Because I don't get much out of step work when I am feeling "crazy". In the past I have always worked steps with coffee and cigs...Glad this group is here.

0 Kudos