cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

okrafeet

Nicotine gum for 19 years

Hey all my fellow friends of Bill W. I quit smoking 19 years ago but got hooked on the gum. Talk about expensive when I had to get a prescription first. I'd actually go to different stores to buy the gum. Typical addict behavior. When the cashier would ask 'so, how's it going with the gum?'

Let's say this was about 15 years into it. I'd say, 'well, so far so good' but feel a little guilty. Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras day) I ran out of gum. After getting on the patch to get off the gum a few years ago....that was a joke...I decided not to buy anymore and work the program on this addiction.

Alcohol, drugs can and will get me in trouble. Second hand smoke is bad for others. But the gum didn't hurt anyone but me. It's amazing how different some of the steps sound now. I'm really having to work the program for myself....not the law, family or friends.

I didn't have physical cravings and that I DON'T understand. The week after the nicotine was out of my body I had trouble sleeping but that's no longer a problem. I am having some mental obsessions. I read where nicotine creates pathways through our neurotransmitters in the brain and those have to be closed.

I've barely mentioned it at a meeting because I don't encourage any newcomers to give up smoking until they have good sobriety. One thing at a time. I am so happy that none of our groups are smoking anymore.

For 25 years I've had trouble defining a higher power. I pray to whatever particle that has power over my life and can help. I've stayed sober and so far, nicotine free....forgot the days...less than a month. I don't plan to keep track. I'm just happy and wish all of you luck.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
jv_

Hello,
neurotransmitters:
neu·ro·trans·mit·ter (nr-trnsmt-r, -trnz-, nyr-)
n.
A chemical substance, such as acetylcholine or dopamine, that transmits nerve impulses across a synapse.

neurotransmitter (nr-trnzmt-r)
A chemical substance that is produced and secreted by a neuron and then diffuses across a synapse to cause excitation or inhibition of another neuron. Acetylcholine, norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin are examples of neurotransmitters.

we are made up of these chemicals, yes, n we teach our body with these foriegn substances n get addicted to them, then we spend all this time trying n in alot of cases we do rid them, however the mental change gets fixed on this behavior, i am no chemist, doc, psychiatrist, all I know is we do some pretty awful things with this stuff not to expect some consequences, so the higher power, particles, whatever it takes to allow our power to run to n hold a peace of don't matter, use it, i say, use it now, cause i don't wanna go back to it, or do i wanna start my quitting anything over again, i like where i am at with my quittingssssssssssss...

love n joy for all
jv
0 Kudos