cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

59sweetpea

Chantix this is day one.

This is day one on quitting. I quit 30 years ago anf then when I got re-married 9 years ago my husband smoked. I still can't believe after all this time that the second hand smoke got me smoking again. I hate it and everything about it. I tried to quit twice with the help of Chantix in 2008, but I quit taking it when I felt the cravings were gone. I see now that was my downfall. I have to quit for many reasons, and my husband is still smoking this is going to be a really difficult challenge ahead, but is is something I have to do.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
janie5

WTG Sweetpea you will do it this time! I've been quit since May 26th with the help of Chantix for 31 days. I've not touch a cigarette but still get the urge but it passes quickly.
0 Kudos
sheryl2

Hi Sweetpea, hope that you are able to overcome the fact your hubby smokes this time around and do this for you. You really have to want this and changing lifestyle habits and drinking lots of water are very important in your preparation to quit. I wish you luck....you can do it. I never thought I could and here I am at Day 45.

Sheryl
0 Kudos
susan52

I am also on Day 1, and it feels great to not have those overpowering urges (the Chantix is helping a lot). I am really pleased that I do not have cravings (but I also know it IS just day one, and the day's not over yet). I wish you luck.
0 Kudos
tigs

hiya sweetpea:
Hope you are doing well, and hope you don't have too many side effects so far!

I, too, started chantix on the 1st, and am going to quit after 30-some years! My husband is not ready to quit smoking either, and my "cold turkey" tries just didn't work, so I got the Chantix. It is really helping already, even just starting day 3. I don't know whether its just placebo effect or not, but by the second day I was noticing a difference. Weird.
Maybe we can support each other, since we seem to have some of the same difficulties....
Stay strong!
0 Kudos
gail3

When i started quitting, i was paying a lot of attention to what triggered me. I found that oddly it wasn't the sight of my boyfriend actually smoking; it was the sound of him packing a pack against his hand, or the sound of his lighter lighting up. And i found that seeing the ashtray with butts in it were a small visual trigger so i'd hide the ashtray from myself - which bugged him but tough cookies. Now he's quitting and i've told him he can nag ME now. So try looking to see if there's a trigger there for you - and try to avoid it. In the car, for instance, if i looked at my boyfriend lighting one up, i'd think about reaching for one. But if i avoided looking at him at times like that, i was ok. Good luck.
0 Kudos