cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

matthewmurray

Day 2

So it is day 2, I have to take it one moment at a time, the past failures I have had are usually due to the fact that I smoke before I even smoke. Meaning my mind creates or makes a future opportunity to smoke and my will gives in before I have even smoked!!!!

Well I'll keep updating as I go along, if anyone has any tips or is struggling through it now drop a line, it will be a nice relief.

Piece,

Matt

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
jennifer59

Now that sounds really familiar.

I wouldn't even set my quit date this time...I worked myself up to it and then just decided last minute that I was done. In the past when I have set a quit date I would always find an excuse to sabotage it before I even tried to quit.

I smoked my last butt at 9:30 last night and have almost made it through 24 hours.

Here's lookin at day two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a really great idea for a group.
0 Kudos
dian

Oh, so glad there's a cold turkey club!! and I don't mean for eating either LOLOL.... I quit cold turkey Monday, but bought a pack of smokes that lasted me Monday and Tuesday so today's my quitting day. Haven't had one yet but like you, my mind is playing tricks........ I taped the end of a straw and sucked/or pretended to smoke that for my drive into work........ moved slowly this morning getting ready for work and allowed myself 10 extra minutes to sleep that would have been my 1st cigarette time.

Jennifer, we can do, my last cigarette was around 11-11:30 PM last night so I'm almost 12 hrs! I'm at work so can't check in often but hey.............. it's almost 9:30 here......... woohoo 24 hrs, here you come!!!! Hope and pray you made it, both you and Matt!
0 Kudos
dian

Matt, LOL at the picture. So is it day 3 now for you??

My quit date is today May 7, day 1

oh and Jennifer, that's my daughter's name!! good omen.

my words.......... when I smoke I wanna quit, when I quit I wanna smoke........ will try to stay on the when I quit, I wanna smoke side.

I have quit cold turkey many times before, my problem is picking/bumming a smoke and starting again.
0 Kudos
jennifer59

Hi Dian and matt

hope you both are doing great.

I had a small set back last night but, not enough to make me start over again. I am just picking myself up and learning from my mistakes.

A friend who recently quit told me yesterday that:

"Smoking was my best friend for most of my life. It isn't easy to just say good bye to your longest and dearest friend but, it is worth it"

She quit using Chantix and swears by it. I am really just worried that if I rely on anything but myself to kick this habit that I am just taking one bad habit and replacing it with another. I am not against the meds at all but, feel that cold turkey is the way for me.

BTW, Dian, personally, your daughter's name is beautiful. LOL
0 Kudos
dian

yea, Jennifer is a great name and that's my Jennifer's son, my first and only grandchild with me...... LOL

hey, I've read many many things when I first started quitting........ cold turkey was the best from what I read. those little things in your brain goes away quicker and you're breaking habits of where you smoke. It may be easy for those using meds because they don't crave a smoke but they still have to learn how NOT TO SMOKE!! I've done it both way and yea, patches are nice and easy and more expensive but I'm telling you........ the hardest part isn't so much quitting as it is the STAY QUIT part. I've stopped smoking several times for years at a time and then start up again........ why!! CAN WE ALL SAY DUMMY!!!

ok Jennifer, so you had a set back, we all do...... join me today in not having a DAMN cigarette..........
0 Kudos
jennifer59

I am joining you on that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your grandson is beautiful. That is my grandaughter in the pic with me.

You (just like me) are waaaay too young to be a grandma. Guess we were just lucky. Grandchildren are the greatest...we get to spoil em and then send em home. 🙂 All the fun with none of the stress.

We can do this quit and make it stick. Our kids are grown, lets show some grandma power now!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
dian

LOL, Jennifer, you are too kind. I just turned 52 last Saturday and that picture of me and my grandbaby was taken last summer, they live in Louisiana.

Grandma power is right!!!!!!!!!!! wooohooo, almost 24 hours for me.
0 Kudos
jennifer59

Good morning all.

I smoked my last cig on Monday at 9:30 pm.

I did steal a few drags off my husbands smoke on Tuesday night but, otherwise have been smoke free and am now working on day 3.

Yeah!!!!!!!!!

I really am happy that I decided to go cold turkey. They say the physical addition only lasts three days, after that it is all mental. Well, everybody says I am a mental case anyways so, I guess I can deal with the rest.

I am seeing the physical withdrawals subsiding. (I didn't wake up this morning about to lose last night's supper and I actually kind of sort of slept last night even).

I keep telling myself that if I can get through today I am in the home stretch and it is all mind over matter from there on.

This mornig I did grab a cup of coffee and then casually walked over to the door for a smoke. Once I realized what I was doing I just laughed at myself and talked (out loud to myself...guess I am nuts). I told myself I am a non smoker. Why would I want to go out there now?

It worked. I am hoping that If I tell myself that over and over again, I will finally convince myself that it is true.

Another thing I realized last night...and this may sound absolutely screwed up but...I did know that I needed to quit smoking forever. However, it never really seemed final until last night. Withdrawals hit really bad when I started thinking for some stupid reason...that I would never again be able to sit and enjoy a good smoke on a quiet spring night.

I just keep telling myself that all of this is a good sign. I am going through all of these emotions so that I can finally say good bye to my 27 year long friendship with "Nic".

Dian, you soooo don't look 52. Good for you.

I really do love this group idea. Seems everybody else on this site is singing the praises of Chantix and the patch and stuff. I have nothing against any of that but, it is not for me. Seeing this group makes me feel more 'normal' (if that's even possible)

How is everybody else doing? Would love to hear the updates. Matt, this must be day 4 for you? Does it get better or am I fooling myself?

LOL

We can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
dian

Jennifer, yea, I told you the 1st day's easy, it's the next week and I did something totally dumb this morning. I wrote it on my page but I started screaming at my 9 yr old and we both got so angry... now I feel so guitly.....

thanks, I thought you looked very beautiful in your photo.....

I've done the patch and I've done the cold turkey, everything I read said cold turkey is the best way to go........ it's the companies that sell the meds that say meds are best. I think cold turkey worked best for me once we get over the cravings, it's all good. Patches just make the cravings easlier to handle that's all. I think if you have to fight it, you'll remember it better, I don't know.........

still feeling bad about being so mean and nasty to my son.
0 Kudos