cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

adam14

Chantix seems to be working.

I quit smoking yesterday and was overly irritable about it, but I was able to get a prescription for Chantix today. I've had cravings today, but nothing on the level of what I had yesterday. After paying for the Chantix, I can't afford to buy cigs anyway 🙂
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
SaraSmile

Hi Adam,
LOL, Chantix is rather expensive but think of the day when you're free from cigarettes! I smoked so much that Chantix was less expensive than keeping me in smokes! I'm on the last leg of my prescription and haven't smoked for 29 days! I've 'never' quit that long before! It gets easier with each passing day, hang in there!
Sara
Prosper in peace
laura45

Chantix works. Have fun and just don't smoke.

Laura
15 months smoke free!
chris-vincent

Chantix is realy working for me. Today is day 13 without even a puff and my husband still smokes. He is going to the doc on friday to get his prescription. I havent been that irritable, but I know without chantix I would still be smoking. You can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And remember you cant afford not to. Let me know how your doing
0 Kudos
adam14

I've had a few nic-fits, but nothing like without the chantix. A few deep breaths or a glass of ice water seem to take care of them. Luckily my wife is a non-smoker and has been very supportive. Best of luck to you and your husband. If you haven't yet, check out the Chantix GETQUIT website and get signed up for it...it's a little instrusive sometimes but is another good source of support.
0 Kudos
adam14

Thank you all for the support...this quit has been a lot easier than my previous attempts. Day three used to be my breaking point...pretty weak, but with the Chantix, the support from my wife, family, co-workers, and you guys I still have a positive outlook. I know it is only day 4, but I would normally be a wreck by now. Thanks again, Adam
0 Kudos

Adam, if you think Chantix is expensive, imagine how expensive it would be to have to go through Cancer treatments. Or even less severe, emphysema treatments. I can tell you from experience about the emphysema. Right now, I'm on 2 different emphysema treatments that cost me $60 every single month. Plus I have to go through Pulmonary Rehab which I don't even know how much that is going to cost yet. And I have a $500 hospital bill already, and another CT scan coming up. And this is all after the insurance has paid it's part. So, in the grand scheme of things, Chantix is not all that expensive after all. It's saving your life, and if you look at it that way, no amount of money is too much to pay to save you the pain of having to go through cancer or emphysema or some other type of disease caused by tobacco.

You're doing awesome on your quit. Keep up the great work, and look around the web for other great sources of support. www.quitnet.com, www.quitsmokingonline.com, and www.whyquit.com are all good places to go for support too. The last one I believe requires that you quit cold turkey to join, but you don't have to join to check out a lot of it's resources.

A really good guy on one of the other boards I belong to said it best about quitting....`It`s simple really. Breath in...breath out...don`t smoke between breaths! Repeat as necessary. ` - Troutnut1
Because of my emphysema, I try to live by his message each and every day. You take care of you, and keep the quit.

Barb
Time Smoke-Free: 110 days, 12 hours, 48 minutes and 47 seconds
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 2211
Lifetime Saved: 16 days, 21 hours
Money Saved: $473.00
0 Kudos