cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

arkansasgyrl

Chantix...Does it work??

Ok.... Hello all, First let me start by telling you I'm Angie, and I have been thinking about quitting for a long time but the withdraw gets me after just meer hours!!! 😞 I have only smoked for about 7 years wow that long suprising when I read that but I have always hated smoking and all that it entails... the smell the stench that gets in your furniture clothes hair...ect... anyhow ... I have been considering this, and well Today I went to my Doctor who had that shyt eating grin on his face that made me think uh oh...lol this may be a bit harder than I thought! Anyhow He was gave advice and Chatix which I will hopefully start tomorrow...I would like to know if you still have withdraw symptoms with the Chantix...? I am ashamed to say I have had addiction in the past, but in all my trials this is the hardest thing I have ever done..!! I never had craving and w/d symptoms so fast in my life and its a bit frightning!! So, any advice for a first timer would be greatly appreciated.. dayum I feel like Im in some kind of group...lol Thank You!
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
SaraSmile

Hi Angie,
I'm using Chantix. My quit date was July 1st. I was successful for 12 days until I went on vacation. Today is my re-quit date! Smoking after being on Chantix for 4 weeks was awful, not that I was sick but the cigarette tasted terrible! That's a good thing in my book, made me think: I don't need this! I did have a few days of sadness, don't know if it was from the pill or the withdraws but in any case I kept on and did it (for a time) but I know I can do it again! I was on vacation when I smoked, kids on my nerves - excuses.... I'm back home now and working on getting rid of my stinkin' thinkin'! N.O.P.E. (not one puff ever)! Smoking is not an option! Those are just a few words of wisdom from people, no FRIENDS I've met here! I smoked for 30 years and if I can quit for 12 days that says something about Chantix. By the way, I have family in Hot Springs and Perryville! Nice to meet you and you CAN do this!
Sara
Prosper in peace
0 Kudos
donna22

Hi Angie, to answer your question yes Chantix does work, not for everyone however....It does not do all the work for you, you have to be motivated to quit, you will still have withdrawal symptoms, in my case it was really very mild...if you haven't done it go to the "Chantix site and read all their information....sign up with them and they will send you tips each day and track your success for you....also if you ever need to you can call them for support also.

Also check out the EX program here, I hear it's wonderful...I was 1 day away from quitting when I found this site so I didn't work the Ex plan...

There are side effects with Chantix you may or may not have any...I had mild stomach problems for a few days and very vivid dreams...I enjoyed the dreams and even remembered them....if you do experience side effects I hope you won't just stop without giving them a chance to subside, in most cases they do I think...if you have concerns and do experience any talk to your DR.

I smoked for over 35 years, I tried many times to quit, this is what has helped me finally do it...it's not a miracle drug, althought I think its a miracle that I did quit LOL. I quit smoking on June 2, that's 50 days....it's awesome....don't rush into quitting, do it when you are ready, I took the Chantix for 7 days and quit on the 8th...the info from them says it could take longer for it to totally get into your system...you will do just great...I'm always here to help if I can...

Don't ever be ashamed to admit you had an addiction, we are all addicts here, admitting it is what makes you stronger....
0 Kudos
barb12

hey ang. no i personally havnt had any withdrawls from the chantix.. except when i decreased my dose... weaning myself off of it my cravings became worse, but im not sure if its a mental thing. anyway how ya doing?
0 Kudos