cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tiffany5

Do You Remember Candy Cigarettes?

How many of you remember candy cigarettes? Eating them....buying them for your kids..I can't really remember when they came to market...when they stopped selling those or what was it exactly that caused them to be taken off the shelves. It just popped into my head a few minutes ago.I was one of those kids who ate them And my parents were the ones who bought them for me. Were they given candy cigarettes too when they were my age? I was too young to see it then but now, I can't help but wonder. What in the world were people thinking selling candy cigarettes to children? So they could imitate the behavior of those around them who smoked. So they could feel like big boys and girls. Cigarette companies even once targeted children as young as that. Isn't that sad? I wonder what percentage of those kids grew up smoking? Maybe back then they didn't know as much as they do now about the harm cigarettes do. But still. Thinking back... doesn't seem ridiculous no matter what year it was? And look at now. They took away candy cigarettes and replaced them with candy FLAVORED cigarettes to aim towards the younger demographic. And recently that was taken away too. WHEW! Who are they going to aim towards next? Infants? It makes me shudder. When will cigarette companies stop?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
tiffany5

Oh goodness no! You're not a terrible mother at all for purchasing them. The terrible people are the manufacturers of these candy cigarettes. They still sell them? Oh my goodness! I thought they were long gone! No, I am positive you're an excellent mother. I hope someday they get rid of all things cigarette related. Take care and God bless! 🙂
0 Kudos
gina16

They still sell them at a popular "candy store" where I live and yes, I have been a terrible mother and allowed my daughter to get them. I can not believe I got them when I was a child too...
0 Kudos
kinswil55

They still are sold in stores in MI...also, bubblegum cigars...not cool!
0 Kudos
the_carpenter

OMG forgot about those
i used to by them at lunch during CCD
thanks(ithink)for the blast to the past
0 Kudos
annie20

I remember as a child thinking this was not only cheap and awful candy but a sh*tty trick to get you to smoke. Wish I had held that thought later on as a teenager.
0 Kudos
bren2

We too have them here. And I, too, have bought them for my children, though I never allow them to "smoke" them, but just to eat them. I actually love the taste of them. I actually considered on stocking up on them to help me quit. lol Better a sugar high than nicotine. Not sure if it'll work or not. Not sure if I'm really going to try it. 🙂

My parents had them as children too, my father is 62, my mom passed away 6 weeks ago and was 57 (she'd have been 58 two weeks ago). Their parents bought them for them as well. My mom never smoked a day in her life. My father is a heavy smoker, still is. Yet, my mom died of Leukemia and my dad is still healthy as ever. Go figure.

But they bought them for me and my three younger sisters. I'm the only one that smokes out of us. So I don't totally believe they are a reason some people do smoke, but I know they aren't a great idea. I mean you don't see candy whiskey bottles on the shelf - at least I've never seen them.

I might make a stop over there tonight and grab a few.
0 Kudos
Rick_M

I remember candy cigs. In fact I do recall getting alot of those boxes when we went out at Halloween. I don't expect that to be the case tonight.
0 Kudos