cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

carrie8

YARN IS EVERYWHERE!

Hi guys, my name is Carrie and this is my second day on this website and my first group (yay-thanks edith!) You guys all seem like very distracting people-and I mean that in the nicest way possible 😉 haha. I am on day six of going cold turkey after 10+ years of smoking. I'm feeling pretty darn good right at this moment, but the days seem to be getting harder.

So, I'm trying to keep to my distractions. If anyone is needs ideas for new hobbies, I have a few. Yoga has been great for the last week! I've been doing it each day now and it totally strengthens my focus. Plus the breathing does the body great!

I have also started crocheting, which I used to do when I was younger. OMG I have made 2 scarves, a hat, and half of a queen size blanket already! Pretty soon my house is going to be covered in yarn! But it keeps my hands busy, that's for sure.

Plus, winter quarter just started. So homework, I think, will be good and bad. Good because it gives me something to focus on. But bad because I used to smoke and do my homework at the same time. But....we will see how that goes!
Thanks guys! Good luck to you all!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
carrie8

HAHA! I know! Sometimes it's like you don't DARE stop, cuz you don't know what will happen if you do! Thanks for the reply and the encouragement! 🙂
0 Kudos

Carrie:
Great hobby. I'm crotching also.In fact I'm in the middle of making a baby blanket for my cousin's baby who will be born on 1/29. I'm doing homework also. I'm in school studying hard and getting ready to get into the Nursing Program. Then it's even harder homework than I have now. LOL
But Carrie your right it all keeps our hands and mind occupied so we don't smoke. Since I've changed my quit date to Feb.14 or 17 can't think of which one it is right now I've been studying my history, crocheting and playing with my six dogs and of course inside the house playing with my bird (his name is Tonka) . I've only had 3 cigarettes all day and believe me it's a big plus for me to only smoke that much in a full day...........usually I'm smoking half a pack by this time. (pats herself on the back). I'm behind you a hundred percent Carrie.....WE CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
carrie8

It's great that you have so much around you to keep you busy. I calm house is a boring house in my mind 🙂

Yeah, homework is going to be good I think. I just have to stay positive and focus on my work!

Good job on cutting down! That shows much motivation! GO YOU! I think changing your date to a closer one shows to you how ready you are!

Good luck and thanks for the upper!
0 Kudos
carrie8

OHHH! I thought of another great distraction for you girls/women out there! READ THE TWILIGHT series if you haven't. I remember when I read them, I had to remind myself to eat and go to the bathroom! So, I think they you'd be a great distraction. Just a thought 🙂
0 Kudos
nicole

WOW! you are ambitious I might take up knitting lol would make feel old.....my grandmother tried to teach me how to crochet when i was young but she was a lefty and i didnt catch on very well. Good job on quitting and keeping busy! Welcome to our group.
0 Kudos
edith2

I looooove to crochet! I have made so many blankets, I lost count. I do mine triple skein so they are thick and warm. Plus, I like combining three different colors and seeing how they come out. I have a hand-held solitaire game that I play with to keep my hands and brain busy. Drinking cold water helps too. I love your ideas! Thank you for putting some out there!
0 Kudos
edith2

hahahahahaha! I have to laugh because I hear about Twilight everywhere! My son is in the Army and he has a girlfriend back home. They are totally into Twilight. For Christmas, Sarah made my son (Nick)a special box with notes she had kept that he wrote to her when they were in school. She mod-podged pictures from Twilight on the box and painted on words from the story. She put a fake rose and apple and other mementos from the story. I think it's the sweetest and most sentimental gift I've ever seen!
I love your enthusiasm and motivation to quit. I believe you're going to be successful and a great asset to this group!
0 Kudos
carrie8

I read the books in like 4 days, and I'm now on my third time through them! It's crazy. I have gotten 5 different people addicted-from ages 25 to 52. I have been called a crack dealer because of them lol! I haven't met anyone yet that hasn't LOVED them. So, if you haven't read them yet, you really should- they're life changing!
0 Kudos
carrie8

I know, I kinda do feel a little past my time, but I really enjoy doing it, and I'm only 26 🙂 And I'm fast enough at it that I can read and do it at the same time! Talk about stimulation!
0 Kudos