cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

deb7

HAS ANYONE BECOME IMMUNED TO CHANTIX?

I was just wondering if anyone has become immuned while taking Chantix? I just started my 3rd week of Chantix. I didn't set a quit date, but I do have a goal date I am working towards.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
clea

Ohhhhhhhh man,......... I wonder the same thing Deb. I'm on my 4th week and I have cut back from 2 1/2 packs to 6 or so smokes a day w/o really trying but at the same time I can smoke as many as I want without having any adverse effects. I guess its working as triggers have been fading, but I just dunno. I think that's as far as this drug is gonna take me, which is impressive in itself, but now I think my biggest hurdle is bringing myself to stop buying cigarettes............ who knows, we're all made differently.... I've even considered increasing the dosage...... It's like I tell my wife when she yacks at me about not having stopped yet . I try to explain to her my brain is larger than most so I have more nicotene receptors to clog........... and she usually responds with me being so full of a certain bodily excrement that the drug isn't reaching my brain..............lolzzzzzzzz....

Anyway, how are things coming with you? Do you think you've built up some sort of tolerance to the drug? It would be interesting to hear from someone in a situation similar to myself.......

Take Care and Good Luck!!
0 Kudos
kim27

This is my second time on Chantix. The first time I did not quit. I think it all came down to I just wasn't really ready. I knew that I needed to but I for sure did not want to. At that time, other than the sleep issues it really did not affect me. I finally quit taking it and kept the remaining refills so that I could try again at another time. This time I took them for a week and smoked. After that time, the cigs tasted horrible, along with most food and the desire just really wasn't there so I quit. Having now been quit for 6 weeks, I will tell you it has not been easy. The past week or so has been really hard but I contiue to take the Chantix and not smoke. I just wanted to tell you my experience because the first time I took it I did wonder what all the fuss was about because for me it just not seem to do anything.
0 Kudos
deb7

Hi Kim,

It's so nice to meet all of you! I just got to start thinking about that. As I have been experiencing some side effects, yet I seem to be smoking the same amount of cigarettes. I noticed I really don't have the strong urge anymore, but yet I still smoke. I've read where it does take a different amount of time for each person. I think I will be one of those people who will be one it a while before I stop smoking. Due to this experience I want to make sure it work's for me before I completely stop. My doctor told me some people will be on it for a few months up to 1 year. Maybe, I will be one of those 1 year people! LOL! I sure hope not! I think for me I really need to work on my behavior. Kind of like that woman learning to drive her car again without a cigarette commercial. LOL! I only smoke in my kitchen at the table. I think I need to start spending less time in the chair there.
0 Kudos
deb7

It's great to hear that someone else is experiencing the same thing I am! Whew! I don't know about becoming immuned to Chantix. I just know the side effects really don't bother me that much or I have become used to them. Maybe, I am going to be one of those challenging cases where it is going to take me longer to slow down and come to a complete stop. I am not rushing it. I am just taking 1 day at a time. Making the decision to stop and starting Chantix is a big start for me alone. I guess each day will be another day on the program. Learning along the way from other
Chantix users. Please let me know how you are doing? I feel so much better knowing I am not the only one out there with the same reaction to Chantix!
0 Kudos
bmarric00

Hi Deb....I wondered the same thing.. I took Chantix for two weeks and didn't feel anything at all after the first couple days. It didn't seem to have any affect on me whatsoever. I took it for three weeks and finally quit smoking on my own when the Chantix didn't seem to be working. I did keep taking the Chantix after I quit and it did seem to help. The desire to smoke wasn't as strong as the need to find something to do with my hands.
0 Kudos
bridget4

OK, here is my take on it. I am a Chantix user. I started the drug at the end of August and set my quit date for September 1. After reading the material I understood that I should be on the medicine at least 8 days to get it into my system so I changed my date to September 8. The important thing here I think is I SET A DATE. I didn't wait for that "magical" moment when I wouldn't want a cigarette. Chantix is not "MAGIC". You have to WANT to QUIT. Chantix just helps you with the withdrawal and works on the recepters in your brain. It is in effect re-training your brain receptors which are completely whacked out from smoking for however long you've done it. In my case, 30+ years. This is not an overnight process. What I'm hearing in this discussion is that somehow you think that one day you'll wake up and will suddenly be a non-smoker. Dream on! This is hard work. Read, read, educate yourself, read some more and ask yourself if this is really what you want. No drug will magically make you quit if you keep buying them and lighting them and putting them in your mouth.
0 Kudos
sheila12

HI all!
After reading what each of you have written- I must agree with Bridget.
I took mine for 3 weeks before coming here-- IT was then that I realized that I HAD TO QUIT!!
I was waiting for that "magic" day- I would just wake up and not think of smoking. Well, I kept taking them and taking them and smoking- not as much smoking- but smoking none the less!!
THEN< I realized I HAD TO BE THE ONE TO QUIT!! It has been VERY hard for me-
I smoked for 27 years!!
I am now QUIT 7 weeks 2 days!!!!
So, KEEP taking the Chantix and SET A DATE!!! IT does work- BUT , YOU have to WANT to quit!!
YOU CAN DO IT!!!
READ -READ- READ --AND THEN READ SOME MORE!!! KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!!!
GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL AND LET ME KNOW HOW YA'LL ARE COMING ALONG!!!!

Sheila
0 Kudos
deb7

I don't think Chantix is a magic pill. I am on my 4th week of taking it. Every day is getting easier. Sometimes I light a cigarette and have no idea I was smoking. I come back and find the cigarette almost gone. The urges are growing less and less. The hardest part for me is changing my behavior patterns. Meaning doing all the things I use to do with a cigarette and now trying to do them without. Once I get over these little hurdles I will be closer to my quit date.
0 Kudos
deb7

Something else I would like to say is that we are all different and the drug may effect each of us in a different matter. We just need to find what works for us when the time is right we will be one day closer to quiting.
0 Kudos