cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

deb7

HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU TRIED CHANTIX?

Hi,

I'm Deb and on my 2nd week of Chantix. I am really hoping this works. I am just taking it one day at a time. I have set the 1st day of winter as my quit date. How many times have you tried Chantix? Did it work the 1st time? If not, why didn't it work? I'm wishing the best of luck to all of us!
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
SaraSmile

Hi Deb,
The instructions that come with Chantix say take it for a week then quit. My pharmacist suggested being on it for 2 weeks before I quit. Of course, being scared and unsure, I opted for the latter. I picked a quit date 2 weeks into taking Chantix, that was 63 days ago! I haven't taken ONE PUFF since July 22nd! Chantix has different effects of different people, I learned that here. I also know that if you're not totally commited to quitting it doesn't matter how long you take Chantix. Luck has nothing to do with it! It is through hard work and determination that one quits smoking.
Take care,
Sara
Prosper in peace
0 Kudos
barbara42

SARAH is so right, luck has nothing to do with it, it takes a lot of hard work, a good mind set, and patience. i also tried CHANTIX and it did exactly what it was supposed to do. that is not to say that you will not have craves, but they are easier to manage. i am smoke free for 86 day,s and i could not have done it with out the CHANTIX, and this site for support peace!
0 Kudos
nancy41

Hi Deb,
This is my first time on Chantix. I pretty much followed the directions, but I waited until the 2nd day of the blue pills before I quit. I am now on smokefree for 16 days! The Chantix is definitely working great - now it's up to me to say no to the crazy urges. And I have had urges. Just remember sometimes you need to change your routines around - at least for the time being. You have also come to a great site for support!
0 Kudos
janie5

Congratulations Nancy on 16 DAYS! It is definitely a one day at a time adventure.

I suggest that Deb doesn't wait till WINTER to quit if she is taking Chantix now. A good mind set and a quit date will do the trick. Then lots of will power.

I've been smoke free since May 26th!!!!!
0 Kudos
deb7

Hi,

I talked with several people who also used Chantix. All of them picked a different quit date and felt that Chantix works differently on each person. I want to make real sure Chantix is in my system, before I set my quit date. I am only on my 9th pill so I have a ways to go. Another reason I set my quit date before winter, is that winter will be a hard time for me. Being stuck inside on all those gloomy cloudy winter days. Who knows, I think each day gets easier. I think I am loosing my urge to smoke which is great. Along with the nasty taste. Who knows, I am even surprise myself and quit long before than. I'm just taking one day at a time while trying to change my behavior when I smoke.
0 Kudos
deb7

My doctors told me to take my time. They said it was more important to be on the road to quiting with Chantix. They also told me several patients have been on it for a year as that was what they needed. It's really hard to say for sure. Each day get's easier. Who knows, I may wake up on day and never smoke again! LOL!
0 Kudos
nancy41

You are right Deb - Each person is different and also, you may wake up an decide you don't want another cigarette! You do need to take your time and decide when it's right for you.
0 Kudos
rosa

Get with it, set a closer quit date girl!!! I tried Chantix once and my quit date was March 11th on day 7 into the presciption as directed. Are you reading the directions? I hope you don't have to wait until the first day of Winter, it's the first day of Fall yesterday! I still have not had a smoke since March 11th. I've come a long way baby! Hard work, you can do it, it feels good, you'll see. Keep yourself busy. Drink lots of water, start exercising, use the Get Quit website that comes with the script, write a goodbye John letter to your cigs, do some deep breaths when you get a crave and wait 5 minutes through craves it really works, I got lots of tips, don't hesitate to contact me!

Rosa
0 Kudos
rosa

Sounds like you're doing great Nancy! I remember there are a lot of changes at first. Are you drinking lots of water and just getting more exercise like just walking down the street to get through a crave?
0 Kudos