cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ready to quit now....again

You are all going to hate me, but I am actually 19 weeks pregnant today. I had my Ultrasound yesterday and actually saw the baby for the first time. Its a boy!!! I already have a 5 year old daughter, and I smoked through that pregnancy. It was basically the same situation as I am in now. I wanted to quit every day, and didnt.. I ended up just hiding from the world every time I had a cigarette, and hated myself for not being strong enough to just do it. I guess, Im not sure If I can be a non-smoker. I have been smoking for 14 years. Im 29 years old, so I dont need to say- that smoking is a big part of my life. I dont know if I can cope without a cigarette. Its too easy to go buy a pack, and its so hard to say no. All my friends smoke, and they are always around. I am a busy mom with sports, and playdates etc. so there is always an excuse to say, I will just quit tomorrow because todays not a good day for me. But I just want to do it... NOW. Im sick of smoking. I have 2 cigarettes left, and I want those to be my last. Any thing I can do? I can ususally last about 3-4 hours- Than I start to lose my mind. I cant take any medication either. Please help! I know you're all in the same situation, so I hope I can get some advise from someone...
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
valley

Hello I am a newbe but I just wanted you to know that back when I found out that I was Prego with my kids I stop that day. It was after they where born and home I started back up. I felt so bad the first few times that I light up and I couldn't breast feed them that I quiet again. Then as they got older then I really fell off the wagon and was lighting up outside and never around them. I hide my smoking from everyone and now I am ready to quiet. They are now 4 and 2 and I can't keep up with them. I can't even go to the park and play for I would be winded. Can't chase them in the house with out feeling like I am out of breath. So I decided that today I have set my Quit Date for before the kids bithdays and I will be done. So I can be the Mom that is running around the play ground with her kids and having fun. Not that Mother that is sitting on the side lines watching them have fun.. So keep your head up and I am not judging you for I was in your shoes before and I know that feeling of oh my what am I going to do.. I will hold your hand if you want as long as you will hold mine too.. Enjoy the little ones for they grow so fast thats for sure..
0 Kudos
momathome

I know how you feel, as much as I hate to admit it, i smoked through 4 pregnancies, hiding it the whole time. Talk to your Dr though, you may be able to at least use a low dosage patch. Also, my Dr wanted me to "wean" off smoking while pregnant, she thought going cold turkey couuld not be good for baby (not to imply smoking was good at all).
0 Kudos

I have talked to them... Believe me- If I could go into a short coma and come out a non-smoker, I would. Im desperate! Its so hard. And I do really worry about the stress on the baby with quitiing cold turkey.But my Dr. said they dont ever refer a pregnant woman to any quit smoking medications... Unfortunately!! They actually just say to "cut down" not actually quit.. Which makes me worry even more. But anyway- I have a new quit date of June 2nd, because I tried to quit on my original date of last Sunday (my husbands day off) and as much as I love him... I just wanted to kill him by late afternoon. So of course, I went to get another pack and set a new quit date for June 2nd when he starts a new job in the city, and will be gone for 5 days for training. (sounds cold hearted.. right?) Also, apparantly in the lovely state of NY where I live, the price of a pack of cigarettes is going to go up, coveniently on June 1st. SO hopefully that will be an incentive not to just go buy another pack. I mean..$6.00 for one pack of nasty cigarettes.
So are you amoking now?
0 Kudos
momathome

Yes, I am still smoking. Be glad you don't live in NJ, cigs are over $6.50 pack here. Anyway, I set my quit date for may 26, but thinking of moving it back, so I can start meds, didn't really put enough thought into this I think. Anyway, I am rambling, good luck to you, don't beat yourself up, you are not alone.
0 Kudos
dian

It's hard no matter what, pregnant or not pregnant but if you have any problems with your pregnancy, it would be better that you quit. Hopefully after being here for awhile, you will decide to quit for good and not just because your pregnant.
0 Kudos

Ya- you know what... I dont understand how someone can quit for 9 mths while they are pregnant and then start smoking again.. It seems like a lot of woman do that. If I quit, I plan on quitiing for good! I dont want to ever have to quit again. Once im done... im done!
0 Kudos
kimoe

All I can tell anyone is go to whyquit.com and look at other people's stories on the left hand side at the top. Start reading. Your cravings will subside. I have a 2 year old, I get the stress. I have been stressing so bad and today is only day 3 for me. He's been in a bad mood today and it's making matters worse. But when I felt the urge, I jumped on here, looked for help and then went to whyquit.com and scared myself out of wanting one. It works. Believe me. Read the horror stories, and then look at your children. It will scare you out of wanting to keep smoking! My urges were sooo bad today and now, after I've read that and looked at this, I feel like such a better mom and so much more in control and so much more like I will be here for my son. Give it a try!
0 Kudos
milli2

No will power to quit - Hey - the thinking you;re going to hate me but... is exactly what keeops us all smoking for far too long.

I've been smoking for too long and have now stopped for two weeks - it;s finding ways to do things without smoking - like havibng a coffee, waking up lol just a few small things like that 😉

So go easy on yourself - love yoursself and find a way to get through the minutes weh you most want to smoke and then onto to the next moment

I started chewing just plain gum and having a hot drink - just distraction until the next moment worked for me.
The more you think about wanting a cig the more you want one. Today was the first time I went to the store and was able to not buy any more cigs - instead I bought gum - I told the shop assistant too that I'd quit and she was really sweet and said good for you !!

So it;s all the judgement and self hatred that got us hooked in the first place - love yourself more and look for support not downing yourself - You can do it and I'm here for any who try try try again. Only you know when you're ready and only YOU can do it for yourself - like only I can do it for ME.

Take each craving once at a time and get through that one - hey we're mother's we did labor!! lol
0 Kudos
mother-of-2

Well I sure don't hate ya! I smoked through both of my pregnancies, I had all intentions to quit but easier said than done! I'm working on setting a quit date, but I have to be honest, I'm terrified. Even the thought of being out of cigarettes sends me into a panic! All my friends smoke, my family smokes, and it seems like everywhere we go they all smoke! If anyone has any ideas let me know. Do i just cut off my friends and family until I get over this or what? I would be lost without my sister, but she smokes, and has been drug free for 2 years now, I won't ask her to give up her only vice, and sacrafice her sobriety...So like I said, any ideas are welcome!
0 Kudos