cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

john-ryan

A little about my story

I've never been much for discussion boards (or look for help for that matter,) so bear with me.

I started smoking when I was fourteen. I started by stealing some out of my sister's packs. I went through some terrible depression as a teenager, as many do it seems these days. I think during that time I really incorporated smoking into who I am, seeing as how every time something bad happened, I would light up. I also enjoyed hiding it from everyone. I think that increased it's appeal back then. Tell a kid you can't do something, what happens? They want to do it more.

Anyway, I'm twenty one now, and I am still smoking. It seems I can hardly make it through a day without one. It's not even so much for the withdrawals, at least not the physical ones. I just feel uncomfortable and awkward if I can't have one. Last night I went out to dinner with my mother, and the usual routine for whenever we go out is that whenever she is at the cash register waiting to pay, that's my chance to go smoke. I realized I had left my cigarettes at home. It hadn't been too long since my last cigarette but all of a sudden I felt a wave of tension and discomfort because I couldn't have a cigarette if I wanted to.

I want to quit, it's just always the thought of "I can't" have a cigarette that makes me feel the need to have one even more. Any ideas for me? I appreciate any help you guys could offer.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
karenh45

Hello John,

I have been struggling with the same waves of want for the cigarette. The one thing that relieves my want is to take a deep breath and let it out slowly. But this didn't work so well in the beginning of my quit. I had to drink tons of ice cold water and cranberry juice whenever I got the big craves. I have been battling this quit for three years. Off and on again...it's been horrible...but well worth it. This time around I have been smoke free for 16 days. After 16 days I can honestly say that the want is not coming around as often and when it does, the simple deep breath and slow release takes it away. God Bless you and your quit!!!
0 Kudos
john-ryan

Thank you Karen, I think like you said that would be less effective so early on, but I'll definitely incorporate that into my plan for quitting. I remember I had promised a family member that I'd quit by Christmas... of last year. Now that the holidays are rolling around again I can't think of a better time to do this for me. I don't do so well with quit dates, so I think once this pack of mine is gone, I'm going to stop going anywhere near the gas station, or anywhere else I can buy them. (although it's very difficult when I work at a gas station right now 🙂
0 Kudos
edith2

John, I love your post. It was so honest and I could relate to it alot. No matter how you quit, it's going to be uncomfortable in the beginning. I wish I could tap you on the head with a wand like Bewitched so you could feel how good it feels to be a non-smoker. I can describe it to you, but you're the only one who can experience it. You've already begun the process of quitting because you came to this site and you're talking and thinking about it. Have you ever wanted something so bad that you were willing to do whatever it took to get it? Take getting pierced for example. When I went to get my nose pierced, I knew it would hurt, but I was willing to go through the pain because I wanted my nose pierced. Same thing with the tattoos I've gotten. Of course with quitting smoking, the uncomfortable feeling lasts alot longer. But if you look at the big picture, the hard part is temporary. You can use stop-smoking aides, and they do help, but there still is a period of feeling uncomfortable. I did the lozenges. The end result is so worth it. You're no longer a prisoner of your addiction. So maybe instead of looking at "I can't have a cigarette," perhaps you could look at it like "the cigarette can't have me!"
0 Kudos
sandy-martin

I just started chantix and it really works.I diddnt think it would but it is wonderful.It is almost like you totally forget that you smoke.It was the best thing I could of done.I dont think about smoking and when I have smoked it tasted awful and it takes all the cravins away.Mabey you should try it.
0 Kudos

John, I understand how you feel, you see I was twentysix or so when I started. All through school I didn't smoke seem like I would get chocked. After getting married, and the problems started I started smoking and have been smoking every since. Now it seems like my chest is bursting wide open when I don't have any cigarettes. But now it is going to get better day by day There is no such words as I can't you can do anything you set your mind to. We have so many people behind us that when ever we feel the road getting rough we can just get in touch with them. Keep your head to the sky. We are going to make it. Take it one day at a time
0 Kudos
dedebum

John, I was afraid to be without cigarettes at first too. I finally went to my doctor and he was so happy about me quitting he gave me a prescription for Bupropion (generic for Wellbutrin) and I bought the Walgreens' Patch. I had my last smoke on Nov. 15 at 11:59 pm. I have not smoked since, but I still get just quick cravings and I say to myself, you don't smoke and the craving goes away. For some reason, today, I have been getting a lot of cravings but I'm fighting through it. Maybe, if you try the patch or pills that will help. You can quit YES YOU CAN.

I have smoked for 43 years, but have finally decided to take control of my health and break the chain of addiction. Cigarettes cannot have my wonderful life.

I wish you the best and will be praying for you. Keep coming to this site that also helps a lot. GOOD LUCK!!

Denise