cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

grandpamike

Chantix log

First off I am Mike. I think it would be good to keep a record of how each of us are doing on chantix/champix during our quit. I wish that I had kept a daily log from day one even though a lot of days were uneventful. Today while writing this I am 71 days nicotine free. I had set my quit date for November 1st 2012 and started taking chantix. I smoked my last cigarette on December 31st around 11:00 pm and have not touched one since. My daily coughing fits that I had suffered from for years stopped completely with in just a few days of not smoking. On the seventh day of my quit, November 7th 2012 I suffered a heart attack. Most likely this was due to me smoking for 42 years. I was having very few urges to smoke, even when in pain from the heart attack. The doctor would have told me to quit if I had still been smoking.

Reflecting back, I have had none of the side effects from the medication. I sleep good at night, I am not depressed, no weird dreams, and I am not suicidal. In fact, I feel better than I have in years. I laugh more, and I mean laugh. I don’t know if this is from being nicotine free or from having survived from the heart attack.

I am going to try to write down any experiences I have, even after I quit taking the medication. Then hopefully others can learn from my experiences and know what to expect. If all members will do the same then maybe someday it will help at least one person.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
grandpamike

Today i am 74 days nicotine free. The last few days were all good. I did have a couple of slight urges. A deep breath, a toothpick and they were gone.

0 Kudos
grandpamike

75 smoke free days. Still doing great. Still no side effects from the medication. Picking up a new box this evening. My Dr. prescribed me a six month supply but I dont know that I am going to stay on it that long. We will see.

0 Kudos
michelle38

Day six on chantix feeling great some i do feel my heart raceing but it slows after awhile so no worries..so far so good with my seizure disorder to no hard times with that..god bless and remember u can smoke all the cigs in the world it will never solve a problem it will only create them.  michelle in texas

0 Kudos
grandpamike

Day 76 of being smoke free. Picked up a new box of chantix on the way home yesterday. Still doing great and no problems. Not much else to tell today. It is cold here in East Texas this morning.

0 Kudos
grandpamike

Day 77 ( eleven weeks ) of being smoke free. Doing great.

0 Kudos
kelly9

Wow, a lot has changed! I have been keeping a diary since I started on the Champix and I can report that

1) when I wake up in the morning I can feel the oxygen going into my lungs and it is a lovely feeling

2) I am no longer wheezing at night!!

3) I am sleeping for 10-12 hours every night and am healing

4) ha, if I think about having a cigarette the feeling quickly goes as I know there will be no point on the champix.

I feel really good, only thing is that I am now having to relearn how to do everything without cigarettes and it can be difficult to get going.  I have just been made redundant so have the next 3 months on paid leave,what a gift! I can take things slowly and relearn life without cigarettes and reinvent myself into the healthy person that I always should have been if it wernt for nasty cigarettes

0 Kudos
grandpamike

82 days smoke free and still doing great. Did have a couple of dreams about smoking and was kicking myself in the dream for smoking.

0 Kudos
grandpamike

I now am 104 days smoke free. I am doing wonderful. I have had a few urges but nothing I couldn't get past. Today is going to be my first day of not taking chantix. So far I haven't noticed anything different. We will see and I will post and let you know how it goes.

0 Kudos
kelly9

Day 46 of Champix and I have reduced down to half a mg taken in the morning.  This happened quite naturally as I was forgetting to take the tablets but still not wanting to smoke so I have just reduced down naturally.  I hope this will help anyone who has just started on champix and is going through the honeymoon period of ' wow these are great, I dont know how I will manage without them?'.   I have loved taking champix - they have given me back control over my life and now that I am reducing off them I am glad that I am not sleeping so much and my addiction to smoking is beat and I am a non smoker!  Today the fist time I though about cigarettes was when I checked my email and saw a message from this community but now when I do think about smoking it is just a reminder of my old life.

0 Kudos