cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

rebelum

Newbie Here!

I wasn't sure which group to join. I am not a mother yet, hoping to get pregnant soon. I wanted to quit before I got pregnant because I knew it would be easier to do it before I got pregnant.

So, I started Chantix on my 30th bday back in October with great success, or so I thought. After the first few weeks of Chantix, I couldn't stand the smell of a cigarette. My husband was still smoking and he was a great supporter of me quitting. After the second month, I was forgetting to take the pills so I stopped taking them. In Janurary, my husband quit and was doing great for about 3 months! I was so proud of him. Then he says that he started having thoughts of suicide and quit taking them.

Around April I guess, my husband and I got into a huge fight and I bought my first pack since October. I thought that I am a "grown woman and can have a smoke when I need one". Well, now we are both back smoking all the time.

I feel so ashamed. No one at work knows that I am smoking again nor do my parents. Everyone was so proud of me that I quit. That's all my mother talks about. I feel like I have let everyone down including myself. And now I don't get the same support from my husband. I think that he feels guilty for starting again and doesn't feel like he can tell me that I don't need one when he has one in his mouth.

I don't smoke at work at all. I find myself smoking more when I am at home with nothing to do.

I have picked 6/16 as my quit day. But I am gonna have to do it cold turkey. My doc says that I can't take the chantix while trying to get pregnant. I still have the Chantix in the medicine cabinet somedays I am really tempted to take them.

This is me and my story. Sorry if it was a little long. Any advice on the cold turkey thing would be greatly appreicated!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
momathome

http://whyquit.com/NTAP_large_print_212_pages.pdf
NTAP_large_print_212_pages.pdf (application/pdf Object) I hope this link works. I am going cold turkey also, quit date is tomorrow 6/2. This is a free on-line book and I found it very helpful. If you need support there is plenty here. My hubby is quitting with me also he is on this site too, DadOf6.
Good Luck!
Lori
0 Kudos
caryn

I can relate to what you are saying in some sense. My husband is a non smoker, and he wants me to quit so that we can expand our family. What I think a lot of people seem to forget is that when you quit, you have to relearn how to cope w/o smoking. I know that last year in September I was doing great....3 months no ciggarrettes, and then something stressful happens and you go back to it. Some times when you quit, you just have to remember why you are doing it, and you both have to support one another.
0 Kudos