cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ali

Why I quit

As much as I hate to admit it, It wasn't the money nor the health benefits, nor the bad smell, nor the fact that I want to be around for my daughter's graduation, wedding, grandchildren etc. All those are very big motivators. My motivation was PAIN! I have an herniated disk in my back, which is pinching my sciatic nerve. I have tried everything but nothing has eased the pain. So, I have an appointment to speak with a surgeon on the 11th with a surgeon. I've been told that most surgeon's won't do surgery on smokers - the surgery has a significantly less chance of being successful and the recovery time is increased significantly. So my motivation is having surgery. Once that is done and I've healed - then I will have to use all those reasons I listed above to remain a non-smoker.

I have been quit for 1 Week, 4 Days, 15 hours, 43 minutes and 14 seconds (11 days). I have saved $27.97 by not smoking 174 cigarettes. I have saved 14 hours and 30 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 6/24/2008 9:36 PM
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
meka

Congratulations Ali, I mean really, way to go!!! I am so glad that you have decided to quit, for whatever reason...Remember- no one reason is more important than the next, I can't imagine the pain you must be going through but I have heard that a pinched sciatic nerve is extremely painful, and no one deserves to live with such pain, enduring pain such as that can put a strain on your mental and physical well being which really does include your over all health...so stay motivated...and good luck with your surgery, and just know that once the surgery is over you are going to feel a whole lot better, and with that new found strength I am confident that you will still have all the motivation that you need to stay quit, you are not alone, I'll still be here, we'll all still be here for you, to support you, so stay strong and don't worry about tomorrow-just take it day by day.

peace and love

Shamieka
0 Kudos
doreen1

Whatever it takes, Ali. Thanks for sharing your story. My husband herniated a disc in his back 16 years ago. He smoked over a pack a day at the time. He had surgery, and complications, and was out of work for 7 YEARS! Two years ago, he fell through a skylight on a roof and re-herniated a disc and had to have surgery on the same area AGAIN. He was back to work this time in 8 WEEKS!! The difference? He had been smoke free for 6 years. So, you are right to quit smoking before you see the surgeon. Check out this timetable of improvements . Your body needs all the oxygen and good circulation it can get in order to heal properly and quickly. Holler if you need me 🙂
Photobucket
0 Kudos