cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ashley28

Ashley's story

My name is Ashley and I am 19 years old. First off, if you skipped over the first post because it was long, go back and read it. The story is very touching and needs to be read.
As far as my story goes, I started smoking with an ex boyfriend of mine. I swore I wouldn't after my grandmother died because she used to smoke. I started though, all because of him. After him and I broke up I started dating another smoker. Then after 2 years of smoking I finally found someone that doesn't smoke and wants to help me quit. He and I have been together for almost 9 months now, and I am doing it a lot for him and his family. I hate that he refused to kiss me after smoking but it was because of the horrible odor on my breath. I cant blame him. I am quitting for his sister who is having a baby boy this week (hopefully) and for his health along with her other 3 kids' health. I am quitting for my future kids' lives so they don't ever have to go through any of the horrific stories I have heard so many times with the premature death from cigarettes. I refuse to do that to my children... and most important reason for quitting is for ME. I want to quit for my own health and my own reputation and to fix the way I look and the way I am portrayed with those nasty cancer sticks in my mouth. I want to be known as the girl that quit at a young age because she is smart rather than the girl that started smoking at 16 and never quit, now dying at 30... no way.

so basically I quit for family, friends, and ME and MY FUTURE
0 Kudos
4 Replies
doreen1

Thank you so much for sharing your story, Ashley. You are making such an important decision to quit - especially considering you are still young and you have the chance to reverse ALL of the effects of smoking 100%. Some people (like me) smoked for a lot longer and while it is very good for my health that I've quit, there are some things that can not be changed. The fact that I don't have the lung capacity that I used to have is one of the biggest things that I wish I could change - but I also know that I could be a lot worse off if I had continued to smoke. You are a smart girl for quitting now. For your boyfriend, for his family, for your grandmother and your family, but MOST IMPORTANTLY for you!!

This could be your new slogan:
Photobucket

I am here to help in whatever way I can. Holler if you need me. 🙂 C'mon over to (QPC) Quit Party Central and celebrate with us as you pass each milestone to smoke freedom. Whether it be one day, one week or one month - no celebration is too small or too big. Hope to see you there 🙂
0 Kudos
val_b

Good for you, you have come to the right place for support, so don't give in to those trigger. use your relearn tool, get educated, goto whyquit.com, get some friends and inhale all the support you can get from family, friend and this group of positive people on this site...again congrats to you.
0 Kudos
jeremy5

That is awesome, and beautiful. I WISH I would have stopped at 19, or obviously never started at all. You've just saved your own life, and LOTS and LOTS of money. I thought it was hard at 35. I cant imagine the peer pressure at 19. Props to you! Hang in there.
0 Kudos
lynn5

You, Ashley are a very smart girl. Don't ever even think about smoking. I wish at 19 I'd have been as smart as you. Now, I am 51 with 35 years of smoking to rid myself of. I look at my face and see the permanent wrinkles that literally say "smoker". I will always have those reminders. Thank God you won't. Keep up the good work.
0 Kudos