cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

I'm scared to quit

I'm so afraid of cravins, irritability and worried everyone is going to hate me. OMG

I want to quit for numerous reason just fear.

Any advice?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
holly4123

Just breathe.  This too shall pass.  You have nothing to fear but fear itself.  Fear of the unknown... sorry, those are the only things I can think of.  I'm terrified to quit and become a fat, crabby person!  And I realize how stupid that sounds but it's the truth.  I'm not excited to quit - I'm ready, but not looking forward to it. 

0 Kudos
mistyseifrit

I think we are probably all afraid of something.  For me it is yet another failure.  I don't even want to tell anyone I am trying to quit again because I know I will get those "yeah, right" kind of looks.  I would rather tell them after I have already been quit for a month so they will believe that I am serious.  Oh, and the fear of being crabby and emotional is right up in the forefront too.  Thank God for all of you guys.  I think a good support group will be the key.  btw, when is your quit date?  I just set mine for 2/27, but am already finding the separation techniques helpful and empowering. 

I know it sounds cliche, but I know I can't do this on my own, but I also know that we can all do it together.

0 Kudos

Hello all,

I am brand new to this site and have set my quit date for next Wednesday, 02/17.  I am extremely nervous and like one of the other posters said, I am scared to tell my friends and family because I don't want to get the eye roll and the yeah right... I know this site can help me to stay quit!  I need to do this for myself and for my daughter!

Any advice as the day draws closer?

Amy

0 Kudos
miriam4

Wed. is Ash Wed. for us Catholics.  Lots of people fasting that day.  Believe it or not, but their fasting will actually help you.  Just think, you'll be fasting from cigarettes!  Greet it strong, believe in yourself.  Supportive friends and family help but realize it will be your positive and decisive attitude that will get you through.  Everyone here on this site is like a supportive extended friends and family.  We all care, glad you're doing it for yourself & your daughter, thats very loving of you.

0 Kudos
ju_

Ask yourself what you are more afraid of...lung cancer, emphysema etc or getting rid of cigarettes. One is a rational fear the other is an irrational fear caused by your own attitude...change your attitude...try to look at quitting as a positive thing...you can live life without having to smoke cigarettes!! Try it this way...it`s been helping me big time.

0 Kudos
jimer

I think all of us are scared.  I am scared of failing, but I am scare of dying also.  All I know is I have to do something.  Hang in there.  Kellie

0 Kudos
miriam4

OK I'm going to say this

"There is only one fear to have and that is of the Lord- 

nothing else deserves your attention as much as this-

He takes care of the rest."

Be happy in your quit, we are doing something Fabulous!

0 Kudos
sunny_sandyd

i decided i'm more scared of not seeing my son graduate high school. get married and start a family. i quit feb5 for seven days. then there was a death in the family. i smoked 3 cigarettes in 4 days. now i'm on day 5 no smoking. one day at a time is all i know to do. go to the daily pledge group. i think it is really good. just don't be scared it will be ok.

0 Kudos
sunny_sandyd

also i would prefer people hate me than have to go to my funeral because i was stuborn and didn't quit smoking.

0 Kudos