cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily Pledge, Bonfires and Quit Celebrations: Traditions born from the members

TerrieQuit

Happy New Year! Keep it Happy, Guard your Quit with a Daily Pledge!

Look for the Latest Reply to ensure you are taking the right person's hand:

Latest-reply.jpg

Hello, Everyone,

Welcome to January 2017. Let's make this a great year by keeping our Quits!

New Year's Day

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia 

For other uses, see   New Year's Day (disambiguation)  . For the day itself, unrelated to celebration of the New Year, see   January 1  .

"Happy new year" redirects here. For other uses, see     Happy New Year (disambiguation).  

New Year's Day

New Year's Day, also called simply New Year's or New Year, is observed on January 1, the first day of the year on the modern Gregorian calendar as well as the Julian calendar. In pre-Christian Rome under the Julian calendar, the day was dedicated to Janus, god of gateways and beginnings, for whom January is also named. As a date in the Gregorian calendar of Christendom, New Year's Day liturgically marked the Feast of the Naming and Circumcision of Jesus, which is still observed as such in the Anglican Church and Lutheran Church.[2][3] In the present day, with most countries now using the Gregorian calendar as their de facto calendar, New Year's Day is probably the most celebrated public holiday, often observed with fireworks at the stroke of midnight as the new year starts in each time zone. Other global New Years' Day traditions include making New Year's resolutions and calling one's friends and family.[1]

For our Romaanian friends!

New Years Day is Federally observed on January 2, 2017

Friday, January, 6,2017 is Epiphany

Epiphany (holiday)

This article is the Christian feast day. For other uses, see     Epiphany    .  

Epiphany
Denha.jpg

Epiphany (ee-piff-any), also Theophany[1] or Three Kings' Day,[2] is a Christian feast day that celebrates the revelation of God in his Son as a human in Jesus Christ. In Western Christianity, the feast commemorates principally (but not solely) the visit of the Magi to the Christ child, and thus Jesus' physical manifestation to the Gentiles.[3][4] Moreover, the feast of the Epiphany, in some Western Christian denominations, also initiates the liturgical season of Epiphanytide.[5][6] Eastern Christians, on the other hand, commemorate the baptism of Jesus in the Jordan River, seen as his manifestation to the world as the Son of God.[7]

The traditional date for the feast is January 6. However, since 1970, the celebration is held in some countries on the Sunday after January 1. Eastern Churches following the Julian Calendar observe the Theophany feast on what for most countries is January 19[8]because of the 13-day difference today between that calendar and the generally used Gregorian calendar.[9] In many Western Christian Churches, the eve of the feast is celebrated as Twelfth Night.[10][11] The Monday after Epiphany is known as Plough Monday.[12]

January 16, 2017, Martin Luther King Day

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

(Redirected from Martin Luther King Day)

This article is about the American federal holiday. For Martin Luther King Jr.'s actual birthday, see   January 15  .

Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Martin Luther King press conference 01269u edit.jpg       
        Martin Luther King Jr. in 1964      
Official nameBirthday of Martin Luther King Jr.
Also calledMLK Day, King Day, Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Observed bythe United States
TypeNational
DateThird Monday in January

FrequencyYearly

Martin Luther King Jr. Day (officially Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.)[1] is an American federal holiday marking the birthday of Martin Luther King Jr. It is observed on the third Monday of January each year, which is around King's birthday, January 15. The holiday is similar to holidays set under the Uniform Monday Holiday Act.

King was the chief spokesman for nonviolent activism in the Civil Rights Movement, which successfully protested racial discrimination in federal and state law. The campaign for a federal holiday in King's honor began soon after his assassination in 1968. President Ronald Reagan signed the holiday into law in 1983, and it was first observed three years later. At first, some states resisted observing the holiday as such, giving it alternative names or combining it with other holidays. It was officially observed in all 50 states for the first time in 2000.

January 20, 2017, is Inauguration Day

Inauguration of Donald Trump

The     inauguration of Donald Trump     as the     45th         President of the United States     will take place on Friday, January 20, 2017, in Washington, D.C. The     inauguration     will mark the commencement of the four-year term of     Donald Trump    , with     Mike Pence     as the     48th         Vice President of the United States    .  

This ceremony takes place for each term of a president, even if the president continues in office for a second term. Since 1937,      Inauguration  

January 24 Unification Day Romania

January 24Unirea Principatelor Române/Mica UnireUnion Day/Small UnionIt celebrates the unification of the Romanian Principalities of Moldavia and Wallachia in 1859 and the foundation of the Romanian modern state.[1]

January 28, 2017, is Chinese New Year

Chinese New Year

For other traditions of celebrating the Lunar New Year, see   Lunar New Year  . For the 1991 Chinese film, see   The Spring Festival  .

Chinese New Year, known in modern Chinese as the "Spring Festival" (simplified Chinese 春节; traditional Chinese 春節; Pinyin: Chūn Jié), is an important Chinese festival celebrated at the turn of the traditional lunisolar Chinese calendar. Celebrations traditionally run from the evening preceding the first day, to the Lantern Festival on the 15th day of the first calendar month. The first day of the New Year falls on the new moon between 21 January and 20 February.[2] In 2017, the first day of the Chinese New Year is on Saturday, 28 January, initiating another year of the rooster.[3]

The New Year festival is centuries old and gains significance because of several myths and traditions. Traditionally, the festival was a time to honor deities as well as ancestors.[4] Chinese New Year is celebrated in countries and territories with significant Chinese populations, including Mainland China, Hong Kong,[5] MacauTaiwanSingapore,[6] Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mauritius,[7] and the Philippines.[8][9] Chinese New Year is considered a major holiday for the Chinese and has had an influence on the lunar new year celebrations of its geographic neighbors.

Within China, regional customs and traditions concerning the celebration of the Chinese New Year vary widely. Often, the evening preceding Chinese New Year's Day is an occasion for Chinese families to gather for the annual reunion dinner. It is also traditional for every family to thoroughly cleanse the house, in order to sweep away any ill-fortune and to make way for good incoming luck. Windows and doors will be decorated with red color paper-cuts and couplets with popular themes of "good fortune" or "happiness", "wealth", and "longevity". Other activities include lighting firecrackers and giving money in red paper envelopes....

Although the Chinese calendar traditionally does not use continuously numbered years, outside China its years are sometimes numbered from the purported reign of the mythical Yellow Emperor in the 3rd millennium BCE. But at least three different years numbered 1 are now used by various scholars, making the year beginning CE 2015 the "Chinese year" 4713, 4712, or 4652.[10]

Happy January, All! Hopefully, you won't be needing to do this too often!

This is always fun!

or maybe this?

I try to include the Holidays of all of our EX friends. If you have a holiday that you would like mentioned or celebrated here, please let me know! 

My name is Terrie, I am starting off this New Year with 25 DOF. I pledge not to smoke this 24 hours and I offer my free hand to the Next person that wants to pledge on this 1rst day of 2017

I Won't Quit on my Quit!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
387 Replies

well, happy new year, everyone.  I'll proudly grab your hand, terrie, I extend my hand to the next and promise not to smoke this fine day.

Lori  342 days of freedom

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Happy New Year everyone, I gladly take your hand Lori and pledge not to smoke no matter what is happening in life and here's my free hand to the next person in line! 

Marilyn 903 DOF 

0 Kudos

Happy 2017 to ALL!

I gladly take your hand, Marilyn, and pledge to stay Smoke FREE each minute of this Day! 

May this Year bring us all closer to our Love of Self and Abundant Smoke Free Recovery!

here is my open hand for the next person in waiting!

0 Kudos
Silverstar

Thomas, thank you so much for the hand, I will take it and pledge to remain smoke-free today!  I offer my free hand to the next person to pledge on this first day of 2017!

Jacqueline, 86 DOF

0 Kudos
elvan

Happy New Year, Jacqueline.  I am happy to take your hand this new year as I pledge not to smoke today, no matter what.  I offer my free hand to the next person who would like to pledge.

Ellen 1078 DOF

0 Kudos
NewEnglander

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Jacqueline, thanks for your hand.  I pledge bot to smoke today and also offer my free hand to the next person in line.

Victoria  206  DOF

0 Kudos
vanlil

Hi Victoria I am taking your hand and also pledging not to smoke today.

Here is my other extended had to the next person in line

Lillian 198 DOF

0 Kudos
vanlil

Hi Victoria I am taking your hand and also pledging not to smoke today.

Here is my other extended had to the next person in line

Lillian 198 DOF

0 Kudos
c2q

Hi Lillian. I am glad to take your hand and pledge with you to not smoke today no matter what. Here is my hand to the nEXt to join us. 2017 blessings on your head. c2q commit to the quit.

Pati

0 Kudos