cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

steve7

Substitute Ideas

In addition to Nicotine Patches, or drugs like Chantix, Wellbutrin, I've heard some people say they have used natural things to help them with nicotine cravings like sucking on candy like a "jolly rancher", or licorice,, and even carrying a jar of "Vicks Vaporub" and opening it and taking a whiff of it when you get a craving. Also things like deep breathing, yoga exercises, going for a walk.

What different kinds of natural things or techniques have used that helped you? We could make a List from what people share here and maybe post it on the website somewhere for people to access.
What Tip or Technique has helped you with Nicotine Cravings?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
linda53

i think ill try straws whenever im drinking anything satisfy that damn oral thing
0 Kudos
rebekah

Deep breathing helps me EVERY TIME!
0 Kudos
edith2

I did and still do drink lots of ice water. I did licorice too. I play solitaire on a hand held game. When I had a craving, I would focus on something else. Sometimes I took things 5 minutes at a time.
0 Kudos
k-tague

I'll probably take heat from this but I am using an e-cig to get away from the tobaco. My plan is to reduce the nicotine level to 0 with it then drop it. So far no real cigarette for over three weeks.
0 Kudos
angela6

I drank lots of water, would take all of my frustrations at the end of the day out on the treadmill, and hard candy. When ever it got real bad I would go outside for fresh air. For the first 3 days I did nothing but clean out closets and drawers around my house to keep my mind off things.
0 Kudos
butterflybp2

A list sure would be nice.
0 Kudos
Sandra3

Water with crushed ice
Brush teeth after meals
Really strong strong craves, jump in a hot bath or shower.(Can not smoke a cigarette in the shower, I don't care how good ya are.)
sunflower or pumpkin seeds.
0 Kudos
lois2

I have used cloves and they help.
Lois
0 Kudos
joanne10

ive found wintergreen lifesavers and altoids helpful, (ex-menthol smoker)
and this is a bad one for anyone who has an alcohol trigger but since i hardly ever drink i dont associate the 2 together...
an occasional baby sip of vodka followed quickly by a deep breath, that burning feeling simulates the abuse to the throat and lungs that we have all come to love...
0 Kudos