cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

ladymullet

What happens if you stop taking Chantix before 3 months

I've been on Chantix for about a month. Haven't had a cigg in about 2 weeks. The Chantix isn't upsetting my stomach anymore but it is causing a few other complications, which I have meds for, but can't take with the Chantix. What will happen if I discontinue the Chantix at this early stage. Will the cravings get strong again or stay about what they are now.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
april.3

The beauty about Chantix is that it blocks your nicotine receptors - so even if you slip up in the first few weeks and smoke, it is doing nothing for you. Additionally, the anti-depressant portion of Chantix helps get you through the rough patches. I've heard of people being successful after a month - but more often I hear people talking about quitting Chantix too early and having to start all over again. I personally would advise discussing with your doctor and weighing the pros and cons.

Best of Luck - April
0 Kudos
dk_

Same here. got the 1st mo rx and used it for about 23 days. Quit the chantix and stiil good. I think that I needed the initial help to try to quit. I really was afraid of the anxiety of quiting. The cravings for me were a little worse after I quit the rx for about 2 days but not that bad. After that its all down hill. I am 3 weeks+ off the nic. But I did slip one day bout 2 weeks ago and had 3 nails, but got straight back on the road to health and freedom from the dragon.
0 Kudos
fran

I did the whole 12 weeks of the chantix. My Dr. gave me another months worth just in case. I stopped after 12 weeks. I can tell you this. The first week while it was getting out of my system I was very irritable, also after it was out of my system I found that my craving were stronger, well not neccesarily stronger but they were different, thechanges were however minor and definatly dealable. I have since picked the demons up again. There were other factors that played into that. Basically having done the whole program and came off chatix and everything. I maintain smoke freeness for 33 days in total. It was not the chantix or lack of it that I picked them up again. So here it is a list of what you might expect when you stop taking Chantix
1. Mood swings.
2. Depression.
3. Slightly stronger or "different" cravings.
4. constipation.
5. Drop in blood pressure.

Thats all I can think of that I personally had. You ofcoarse will be different. But remember this. Once you become smoke free and have maintained atleast a week, you don't need it anymore. The chantix only blocks the receptors so your body doesn't benefit from nicotine, you are the one who has been doing the work to be smoke free. So if you feel you are ready to stop, set a stop chantix date and mentally prepare yourself for the possible effects that I have mentioned and get off it. The program "guide lines" are simply suggestions, everyone is different and my thought is that the sooner you stop using the stop smoking aids completely and depend more on yourself alone the better. So I say when your ready, stop taking the chantix, but do consult your Dr. I don't know what your other complications are but consult your Dr. before stopping it because it may effect the other complications in some way. The one thing I have to say very strongly is that you have probably heard that taking chantix can cause depression, I am bipolar, I can definatly say that when I STOPPED the chatix was when I had my worst depression. So keep that in mind. Like I said set a stop chantix date and mentally prepare your self for the possiblities, and consult your Dr. if your other comlications are life threatening, and don't stop taking your other prescribed meds for your other complications without your Dr's approval. I am no longer smoke free and probably have no right offering my opinion, but I did stop chantix and stay smoke free for awhile. I hope I have helped you figure atleast the stopping chantix part out. I wish youthe best of luck in your fight and keep strong, I can tell you from experience that a slip after 33 days really rattled my cage. I intend to quit again. I just need to re-gather my scruples...
0 Kudos
Fefun

I stopped taking Chantix  Oct9th 2017 so it’s been 10 days since I stopped taking Chantix. I was insanely irritable and angry on days 6 and 7 as well as I didn’t sleep at all on day 6 after stopping. I’m golden now though. If anybody wants to know about my experience with Chantix - hit me up with a personal message or leave a  comment here and I’ll be happy to answer any questions Happy Quit to all, George 37 Days of Freedom

Tabbiekat

Inquiring mind here   How long after you started Chantix did you quit smoking? I started Chantix last Friday and quit smoking Tuesday, my original quit date was Oct 30th. I am due to move up to 2mg tomorrow, but I'm cutting my 1mg pills in half and plan on sticking with the 1mg per day for a couple of months since my desire is gone and I am mainly working on adjusting my daily routine and battling the triggers.

Fefun

That’s awesome! I stopped smoking about 4 weeks after starting Chantix. It took longer for me then some, I just couldn’t let go of my habit. This isn’t my first Quit using Chantix, so I know a little about the Chantix. I had bad or vivid dreams using Chantix, but taking my 2nd dose way earlier in the day is a great way to mitigate that side effect

Tabbiekat

How long you are on Chantix and how long before you quit smoking do very a lot per person. I have been getting the vivid dreams and my insomnia has come back, but I have an RX for that. Since I already quit I don't see the need to increase to the 2mg a day. My husband is still smoking and I know I have a few big stressors coming up over the next few weeks so I don't want to stop taking it then start smoking again and that is why I am going to keep taking the lower dose till at least the end of November. I will re-evaluate my situation then. My doctor even told me he has one patient who has been on it for over 2 years and he knows I understand medications and how my body works so gives me a lot of free reign when it comes to my healthcare.

Fefun

I wouldn’t be in any hurry to get off the Chantix , especially if it works for you. I work at a job where I travel to different locations at least every week. I happened to leave my Chantix behind by accident , and since I didn’t take it for like a week before I got back home and had the chance to get the bottle - I just decided not to restart. Had I not left the bottle behind by accident - I would still be taking them.

taking the second dose earlier in the day (and/or at a weaker dosage) may help with some of the negative side effects that happen in the evening. Like I said I took my 2nd dose super early (if I didn’t remember to take it and it was after 2:30 pm I would just skip the second dose) that worked for me - although my body just wasn’t very happy with me suddenly stopping the medicine, I guess (either that or I finally got to deal with the full effects of withdrawal or something) in any case - Thanks for reaching out to me, I appreciate the chance to chat with another Chantixer & should you ever need anything, I got Your back, girl  

George : ) 

Fefun

Also taking the daily pledge not to smoke seems to be another tool that helps me and helps others that take it not to smoke. There is a lot of newbies and old hands on that thread.