cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

krissy2

Teach your children about the dangers of smoking

I've always loved to sing, it's was my dream to be singer one day. I sang in the school chorus up to the 7th grade, by then I had already started smoking.
When I changed schools I was no longer able to be in the chorus and I just gave up on my dream. Well, I was discussing this with my sister and I said, "If I would have never started smoking I would probably be still singing right now." My son overheard this and said, "Mommy I want you to stop smoking so you can be a singer like Beyonce and we can be rich!" Well, I'm no Beyonce but I can still hum a tune, it's hard to hold some notes though being that I can hardly breathe. The one thing that my son made me realize it that I probably would have gone on to do great things with my singing had I not started smoking. It also made me realize that as parents we need to pay more attention to what we let our kids see and pay attention to what they do. I was 11yrs old when I started smoking and my mother didn't have a clue, I picked up a poisonous habit at a very young age that I've been dealing with for 16yrs and it has affected my life in an unhealthy way. I'm trying so hard to quit so that my son does not have to grow up with the same visual I had as a kid. Make sure it doesn't happen to yours.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
rachel17

I have wanted to talk to my kids about the dangers of smoking but i felt like a hypocrite while i was still poisoning myself with the cigarettes. Even though i don't think they know that i smoked. Well at least they never actually saw me do it. Kids don't miss anything though. Now i will talk to them about it all the time. My worst nightmare was that they would start to smoke because i did. I hope they are smarter than i was. I was so young when i started stealing my mothers smokes. I wonder if that makes her feel guilty knowing that's how i began. We can do this for our kids and ourselves we deserve a life free from cigarettes. NOT ONE MORE EVER! KEEP THE QUIT!!!
0 Kudos
billie

My five y/o has really helped me want to quit. I try and hide it from him but he is so smart and a little nosy, He finds me wherever I am smoking. Also, he totally ratted me out to my Grandparents. I didn't dare scold him, It is my problem. I have to fess up and deal with it. I don't ever, ever want my kids to smoke. It has to start with me. I want to be a better mom. We have to do this for our kiddos. They are worth it. Cigarettes don't deserve attention more than our kids. Have a great day. Billie
0 Kudos