cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

kris11

*coming down to the wire*

Ok here we go - day number 6 on chantix, still smoking and not really noticing anything different. No bad dreams, no funny taste, NOTHING...... Is this normal? I called my doctor and she said it could take awhile. Everyone is different. So I'm supposed to just follow my prescription and do what I'm told to do. Now, do I actually try and stop smoking all together on Sunday or do I keep smoking if I feel the need and just wait till I start to feel like they are making me sick. I'm a little confused and need some input from my chantix-ers. Thanks for the help - it really matters to me.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
cindi

Hi Kris ! On day 8, the day you start taking the blue pill is the day you should stop smoking.
Chantix HELPS with the urges but YOU have to have the willpower to go along with it as well.
Yes, everyones side effects are different. I ahve weird dreams/insomnia but I can take both the pills on an empty stomach , no problem.
Tomorrow is day 16 for me and I am feeling great after 35 years of smoking.
Stay strong, just think of all the health benefits and $$ saved !
Keep thinking of your persoanl reasons for quitting....for me I was starting to get a wraspy smokers voice in the morning....and noticing a couple of "smokers wrinkles" around my mouth... NO WAY !!!! IT WAS TIME TO QUIT.
And my blood pressure was borderline high, etc,etc.
Hang in there. You will feel alot better. Good luck.
0 Kudos
janie5

Did you pick a day to quit? If it was day 7 or 8...tell yourself you QUIT. Chanitx will NOT make you quit....it does help you make up your mind. :~)

Good Luck with your adventure!

I used Chantix for 31 days and have been quit 4 months and 5 days.
0 Kudos
teresa18

just my own experience here,........i used chantix for 3 full weeks while smoking and on the first day of week 4 i was feeling very discouraged because like you i was waitng for me to not want to smoke or that they would taste gross or something.......i kept waiting. i heard everyone say that that is what happened............it NEVER happened to me. on i just decided that i would have to try to cut down on my own...........and was incredibly surprised because from that moment on i didnt smoke again. it has been 8 full days of no smokes and i am loving it (most of the time). i think the chantix helped me not have horrible withdrawl or horrible cravings. I absolutley NEVER thought i would be able to quit and i did.
0 Kudos
kris11

congrats to you and keep it up. remember nothing is worth going back once you've come this far. i too have tried many many times, but this time i really really want it bad, so we'll see what happens. HANG IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
teresa18

thanks..........yeah i am quite happy with not smoking
0 Kudos
gail3

hi, i've had the nausea, sweats, dreams and more dreams, and i can tell the difference using it - but i haven't quit completely. down to 4-6 a day. but i'm bummed coz i couldn't just go for the gold this weekend. i still have withdrawal urges in a big way - not habitual stuff - and this i had hoped Chantix would deal with more. so for some people it works like a charm and others, so so. i'm still working on it. good luck to you and keep your motivations close by your side. this is for you and nobody else.
0 Kudos
laura78

I totally understand where you are coming from. I am on day 5 of the white pills. The one in the morning I feel no different. The one at night has been making me a bit sick and I think I will start taking right before bed with some crackers and a banana. The blue pills are definitly stronger. This is my 2nd time with Chantix. First time, I did have to take it for about 2 and half weeks before I felt ready. It says if you aren't ready at 7 to keep taking the pills. Most people I know on it wound up going beyond the 7 days before they quit.

Good luck and keep me posted!! 🙂
0 Kudos
melinda-cook

It took over 2 weeks for the medicine to kick in. I woke up yesterday morning and didn't want to smoke. The medicine doesn' work by itself, I really used a spiritual program of action and a lot of chewing gum yesterday. So far today has been good as well. I do have crazy dreams but that is all they are, just dreams. Some are pretty cool. Good luck.
It will happen. Melinda
0 Kudos
deb7

Hi,

I'm Deb. I am on my 2nd week of Chantix. An hour after I took my 1st pill, I started getting this yucky kind of taste in my mouth. I have also noticed I am starting to loose my urge to smoke. I am not setting a QUIT date as I want to make sure I've taken Chantix long enough to get into my system. I am picking a quit SEASON. I would like to stop smoking on the 1st day of winter. That is my goal. I think everyone is different. I just know once I'm done smoking I don't want to go back!
0 Kudos