cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jeannie6

My Trigger(s)

Hi everyone. I'm Jeannie and new to the site and longing to become an ex. I have not yet quit, but I have really cut-down. I used to have to have that morning cigarette but finally gave it up. Then I just had to have that lunch cigarette, but that required trying to find a spot to hide so that my new co-workers wouldn't know that I smoked. The stress of possibly being spotted made that lunchtime smoke more stressful than anything, so that stopped. I now have my first of several cigarettes when I get home after work. I smoke maybe one pack in three days, instead of a pack a day. That's a good start, but it's the END of smoking that I yearn for - but it's so hard.

My trigger is - anywhere outside! I have not smoked indoors for at least two years, but if I go to a pub or restaurant - they just have to have a patio where I can sit out and smoke - or I won't go there. Also, sitting out on my own patio reading a book is a trigger. It's crazy but what triggers my desire to smoke is to go out for some fresh air! Go figure. I want to become better acquainted with new friends, but they are all non-smokers, so I cancel the invitations so that I can go relax with a cigarette. It's ridiculous! Has anyone else been trashing their social life in favor of smoking?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
jenipurr34

Yes, I don't go do anything right now. Everyone I know still smokes. I figure once I get used to it, I will be able to hang out with them, but right now I am just trying to pace myself. Today will be day 11. I am so proud of myself. It is getting easier, I find myself going almost the whole day before I think about it. That is really weird because I am so used to thinking about it constantly.
My suggestion for you, would be, Don't go outside, stay inside as much as possible till it is out of your system. When you feel like you want to go out for one, stay in and read that book instead. Only go to resturants that don't have outdoor patios, or don't allow smoking at all.
Order your food, eat, then leave asap, That way, you won't be tempted to smoke.
It is possible.
Just remember, you won't die if you don't smoke. You will eventually if you do.
That helped me alot.
Good luck!!
Jennifer
0 Kudos
jennie3

Yes I did at 1st I just had to hide away for a bit now it is easier to be with the smokers they stink yes but to each his own I am a non-smoker now!
0 Kudos