cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

jazzbassnick

That "thinking" smoke?

Hi All,

I find one of my biggest triggers is pacing and smoking whilst I work out something in my head.

Anyone find something that worked for them?

Thanks!
N

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
grant4

You're probably going to have to chew on something, a straw, gum, your finger even. I liked to do the same thing, and I carry 2 packs of gum with me at all times in order to curb my cravings. It seems to be working so far.
0 Kudos
jen-c

That's one of my biggest triggers as well - if something came up at work that required some extra concentration, I'd hop outside for a smoke. Instead, now I hop outside and chew on little stir straws - or I have something to keep my hands moving (like playing with a rubber band or tying one of the little straws in as many knots as I can). I usually find that it's just the time alone that helps me think something through.

Good luck! 🙂
Jen
0 Kudos
margie3

Try Cinnamon Altoids. They are strong and it's like a slap in the face!
0 Kudos
cmwinda

I use the plastic cigarrettes, I get the smell of a fresh cigarrette but without the smoke, works to an extent!

0 Kudos
jaimefriggin

I'm finding deep breathing whenever I have an urge to smoke 'whilst thinking' not only satisfies me in a new and pleasant way, but also tends to help me think clearer.  Amusing, as it is in essence the antithesis of smoking.

0 Kudos