cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

suzanne3

quitting jan 2

nervous, excited, anxious....i really have to do it. i'm a year out of cancer and i can't believe that i haven't given up smoking yet. i'm actually mortified about it. the hospital we used asked me to be their poster child for semi younger people who contract cancer (i'm 45) and my picture is up all over town on billboards, in the mall, newspapers, magazines and they have an ad at the movies. i feel like such a hypocrite. all these people that recognize me now, i feel like if they saw me smoking....well, i;m sure you all get it. it has become so socially unacceptable...we are the pariahs of society now and i, for one am so tired of it. there's so much i need to get out, but it's new years eve and i have friends coming so i have to go cook. i'm sure i'll be here ALOT over the next few weeks. happy new year all!

suzanne
0 Kudos
12 Replies
sharon29

Good luck to you, I don't like quitting on New Years but it has to be done. I am nervous too.
0 Kudos
suzanne3

thanks sharon. much good luck to you too! happy new year
0 Kudos
noreen

Yes Good Luck and remember we all are going through the same thing. We can all support eachother.
0 Kudos
suzanne3

thanks noreen. i am so ready to quit this horrible habit. it's going to be a long first week, but i know we can all do it.
0 Kudos
susan52

This is my Day 1. I know what you mean about certain hypocrosies this addiction creates. I have a high profile position that is focused on being healthy, and I have been a closet smoker for YEARS. Brings a lot of shame and worry that I will be found out. I feel good so far today, and I am on Chantix, which helps. GOOD LUCK tomorrow. Check in if you need to.
0 Kudos

Good resolve to you Suzanne. Quitting is the best thing you can do for yourself, both physically and emotionally. Becoming an authentic person once you have quit, will feel like the weight of the world has been lifted. The monkey called addiction is off your back, along with the burden of the facade of smoking in secret. You will succeed! You are a wonderful and whole person without the addiction, and human enough to know how bad it is for you, therefore feeling the need to keep it secret. It is never to late to choose life. You know how to take care of yourself, and have tremendous strength. Beating cancer, and now tackling the addiction, really speaks to the character that you have gained as a person. Keep going!!!! Don't let the evil poison win.
0 Kudos
suzanne3

ok, here goes. i burned my cigaretts in the fireplace last night, got rid of ashtrays and am putting on the patch. i'm going to do it this time! i have so much support from my incredible husband and friends. i'm going to need it. good luck to you all today. just get through the day. it's been forever since i haven't smoked for one day, it's going to feel like a huge accomplishment.
0 Kudos
sharon29

You go Suzanne!!! I have been smoke free for 31 hours and I cannot believe I've done it. You can too. One craving at a time. I really think the patch helps too. Be strong. Sharon
0 Kudos
suzanne3

having a hard time right now. even with the patch, i still want one. what's that about???
0 Kudos