cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

jen35

Been on Chantix for 26 days

I was wondering if anyone else has gotten a very bad sore throat? A feeling like something is lodged in your throat. It's felt this way for several weeks and doesn't seem to want to go away. I am always thirsty and have frequent urination. I also have the constipation and flatulence. Does it go away after you stop taking the medication. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
jeannie4

check out whyquit.com for some answers. I too had the same sore throat. It has to do with your body healing itself. Isnt your body a wonderful thing? all the years you abused it and it still recovers for you! take good care of it and it will pay you back a million fold.
0 Kudos
rob17

Excuse me, but could I ask why you're recommending whyquit.com to someone who ha a question about Chantix? That is the most radical "there is no way but cold turkey" organization I've ever had the misfortune to run across. They're against any type of NRT or drug to aid with quitting smoking.

In answer to Jen's original question, though, I've never heard of the the first symptom (sore throat). I have heard of the others and just about everything I've read says the symptoms go away when you quit taking the med.

Cheers,
Rob
0 Kudos
karenjones

you know 'why' they are against NRT don't you?  Not because they are wankers that don't want you to quit. There are some valid reasons.  To each their own. Everybody hoe's their own row.  I can see the point about NRT if you want to get off of nicotine. 

0 Kudos
jeannie4

Sorry but I have used just about every tool and web site I can get my hands on since I quite. I realize that they are anti NRT and very anti Chantix but I think there is some valuable information and I just thought it would help.My husband quit "cold turkey" and I didnt. I did not mean to offend anyone. I didnt realize that this was an anti whyquit group! If you are still interested read below:
Slight Sore Throat
Years and years of smoking while ingesting hundreds and hundreds of chemicals (every twenty to thirty minutes) has irritated our throat, damaged or destroyed millions of cells, has deeply marinated tissues in gobs of tar, and has caused them to become numbed to the tremendous harm being inflicted. As our tissues begin to heal, they may feel temporarily irritated as the cells slowly renew, our tissues begin to breathe and natural moisture levels gradually return. Cool liquids and juices may provide a bit of soothing. Hard sugarless candy or cough drops may also generate moisture, provide soothing or give relief from minor discomfort.
0 Kudos
stebunny

Hi Jen,
I had the some of the same symptoms and since I have been off the pill for 2 weeks now I am getting back to normal. I think once you feel comfortable enough to stop the pill you'll be fine. My main complaint with Chantix was the sleep and dream issue. I think the side effects are worth the end result! Keep up the good work!!!
0 Kudos
jen35

Thanks Jeanie,
I found the whyquit website very helpful! It totally makes sense now why my throat is hurting so much. Candy and cool liquids do seem to help a lot. I was just concerned that maybe I was getting a cold or something and didn't want to waste a doctors visit when it's just my bodies natural way of healing itself.
0 Kudos
jeannie4

Your welcome-Im no doctor but you know what doctors tell you about a cold! 😞 usually no help at all and loss of money for a visit. I know, I went. Please keep up the good work. I am so proud of you and you can do it! One day at a time!
0 Kudos
karenjones

i had the same symptoms and spoke with 2 pharmacists. One pharmacist said her daughter on Champix (Canadian name for what I think you call Chantrix or something like that) and had the same symptoms so she asked the pharmaceutical rep that sells it and he said  that on the instructions you get with the meds it says to drink one glass of water with each tablet, he said try 3-5 glasses of water with each tablet. She did and the symptoms went away.  I do to. It means that I often have to get up in the middle of the night to pee but it beats having all those yucky smyptoms.  it works. Also spoke to a different pharmacist about the dreams and nightmares and I said that I felt like cutting way back on the meds and he agreed with me that one size does not fit all. so I cut back to 1/2 tab twice a day and now I'm taking 1/2 tab once a day. I guess it depends on how motivated you are and other things. Speak to a pharmacist about your concerns.  And keep up the good work of being a non-smoker.

0 Kudos