cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

heather30

I'm tired of quitting and starting back up again.....

Hi everyone,

I quit again on June 19th and started smoking again on June 26th. I can't even count how many times I've quit in the past before, during, and after getting pregnant in 2005. I really want to do this but I'm really struggling. My husband is a smoker and usually somewhere between a week to a month of not smoking I get very very very very resentful toward him and then I start going through horrible withdrawl symptoms - even on nicotine replacement. I know that it is wrong but the addiction monster just won't let up. I never pressure him to quit smoking. He knows he needs to but like the rest of us he has an addiction. So eventually I give in to my addiction and tell myself that I deserve to smoke - I work hard too - why should he have all the fun! That is so ridiculous but it happens every time.

I don't want my son to think that it is ok to smoke. I'm so afraid that when he turns 9 or 10 he's going to "try" a cigarette. How do you explain to a child that it is wrong for him but ok for his parent? I don't want him to ever go through the nicotine withdrawls and the cycle of quitting.

I'm tired of this cycle but I don't know how to break it............
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
sunshine

I totally understand what you're going through! I've done the same cycle for the last 5 years. Today is my first day and I actually feel like I might be able to do it this time. I want to quit for hundreds of reasons and it's always the lamest excuses when I start again. So, now I'm telling myself "no excuses" You don't even realize how many areas of your life cigerettes control until you're going without them. Good Riddance! Good luck to you: )
0 Kudos