cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

karina

Chantix works

ok so this is my 3rd time on Chantix. I have to say the first time I used Chantix I quit smoking for 8 months..I never wanted a cigarette at all. Then I started hanging out with people who smoked all the time and I relapsed. The second time I took Chantix I really half assed it, and I stopped smoking for 2 weeks. This time I am determined to quit. I always get sick on the blue morning and night pills. I find that if I just take the morning pill and skip the night one I am fine. I don't have any weird dreams and I don't have any bad side effects this time. This really is a miracle drug for me because without it I wouldn't have been able to quit smoking. I have been smoke free since 05-01-08.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
13 Replies
Jaded

Smoke free here since 4/21! Chantix doesn't make me sick at all, but I try and make sure to not have an empty stomach
0 Kudos
cindy16

Hi, I took chantix before. But started smoking at bowling, husband started etc, etc. I will be starting again. I was thinking of taking 1/2 a pill twice a day instead of 2 pills daily. I was sick to my stomach before. Someone said cut the dose daily in half , will be better on my stomach. Do you think cutting dose will be ok? Do you think the med will still work as well.
Thanks, Cindy
0 Kudos
murel

My quit day was May 8th, the second time for me with Chantix. I have read that some people have better luck staying quit if they wean off the Chantix. I think I am going to try and cut back to one pill a day then to one everyother day in my last month. Good Luck
Murel
0 Kudos
hothula

aloha jaded, just wanted to say congrats to you for your quit. great job
0 Kudos
cindy16

Hi, My insurance does not pay either. I have about 25 days worth. Will take that if need more will call dr. I did not set a date yet. We have an adult canoe trip July 25,26 and 27th. May wait till after that. My husbands aunt onloy took for a couple weeks
Cindy
0 Kudos
lynn8

I was just telling someone that I have a friend who's daughter couldn't afford is so, after a month, she gave her second script to her. She had quit for a total of 6 months or so and restarted at that point. She's been smoking again for 5 1/2 months with no desire to quit at this time. She believes that if she stuck with it, she wouldn't be smoking today.
Last week, I took it once for two days straight. I wanted to see if some of the excessive gas would go away. It did, but the urge came back and the mood was tough. I was ready to kill anyone that got into my path that day (kill, NO, bitch and moan at YES LOL)
Stick with the 3 months, if you so possibly can. To me, it helps so much for those urges NOT to exist!
GOOD LUCK!
0 Kudos
cindy16

I have almost a month worth. Will have to call dr for script. I did not quit yet. I did try last year. Chantix did take away the urge. But I started again. Was a best decision. But in the past. I'm trying to figure out the best date to quit. I have a adult canoe trip. In the summer. Thinking about waiting till after that. Si I do not have the urge. Many smokers there. Drinking etc. I want to pick the best date so I can win the battle this time
Cindy
0 Kudos
denverdeb

Hey cindy, i would at least try to do the first week with the 2 a day, then maybe cut down to one a day. try taking it with yogurt, this really helped me. good luck
0 Kudos
rob17

I cut the 1mg. pills in half before going to 1 mg. pill in the afternoon just after lunch. I have not seen any information anywhere that said you should not do this. It was even suggested by my doctor when I called him with my concerns about the side effects I was experiencing. Once I got to 1mg. per day, things went much better. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Rob
0 Kudos