cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

nikki0885

Chantix vs The Patch/The Gum

Day four congrats to everyone! I've been using the patch and sleeping a lot, probably not the best way but its been working for me. My hubby and I are trying to quit together but the patch hasn't been working as well for him. I was wondering if anyone here has tried chantix or any of the other meds and could let me know how well they work or if they are any better than the patch or the gum. Thanks everyone. CONGRATS again!
0 Kudos
9 Replies
pat-h.

Day 4 for me.......I'm taking Chantix and using the patch (not sure that's a recommended thing but I know you can smoke using Chantix so figure it can't hurt much)
I still have cravings though...
Seems like you just have to get through it the best in the way that's best for you.
I quit a couple of years ago using the patches alone and I think the Chantix helps more.
Good luck to you and your husband.
Feels good to be an EX! and it's going to get better!!
0 Kudos
nancympearson

Hello,
I have tried it all, but Chantix is the only thing that works for me. The way it works for me is it calms the cravings down. Makes it easier to say no to the cigarette. I have also failed on Chantix. I firmly believe that the support I have been given on this site has been the reason I am succeeding this time. Yes, the Chantix helps but being able to read comment and blogs and my pages has been a Godsend to me. Maybe your husband should try getting on line. I know if he is anyhting like my friend, he won't do it---but it's worth a try. Good Luck. Nancy
0 Kudos
leanne

Hi, I'm new here - just joined today. I am so anxious about quitting smoking that I tried chantix a few months back and after 3 days didn't like it. I know, I didn't use it long enough. My husband is going to use the chantix and I am using wellbutrin starting today. My quit date is January 11. My husband is supposed to quit with me, but I think that I have to really rely on myself, and this program, I have a great fear of being without cigarettes, as almost everyone I know smokes A LOT! Anyway, I am determined this time. I hope chantix works for you. It has worked for several people I know, they say you just have to get through the first week of adjustment. It is really hard because my husband is very high strung and hyper as am I, and he makes me even more uptight by continually harping on "what I am going to do about quitting smoking" instead of focusing on his own plan. I'm scared, but I think I can do it now. I really want to.......
0 Kudos
melro1973

First and foremost, let me say congratulations. Keep in mind that everyone is different. 2 out of the 3 people I know personally (not counting myself) quit successfully over a year ago with Chantix. For me, however, I had basically the same problem with Chantix as I did with the patch ~ it seems like they directly effect my brain. With the patch, I did not crave a cigarette at all (quit for 6 weeks using the patch) but had to stop using the patch because of the awful vivid nightmares I was having. Chantix made me completely psycho and I still wanted to smoke, so I gave up on it after the first 30-day prescription. Good luck to you both. This time, I've gone cold-turkey. Any method you choose is only going to work if you are determined to quit.
0 Kudos
kathy3

melro, I'm having those vivid dreams like you wouldn't believe. I'm gonna try and stick with this though, dreaming is not as bad as smoking LOL. I'm just on my 7th day so we shall see. Good luck to you!
0 Kudos
shannon14

hello everyone! I just joined this site and i'm sooo glad. i have tried quitting before as well and nothing seemed to work. my brother and i are both using the patch and it's working so far. i do recommend taking it off right before bed, having vivid dreams is pretty common. occasionally i pop a piece of nicotine gum to curve the craving, that seems to be working as well. so far so good though! happy new year!
0 Kudos

I'm going cold turkey and I seem to be doing it just fine. I think a lot of it really is just a mental overcome. I think your husband just needs to know inside that he doesn't want to be this disgusting habit anymore. That's what keeps me clean and clear.
0 Kudos
karen19

To all of you.
I am in my 5th month of quitting. I loved the dreams I had while on Chantx but really hated taking anything. I actually wanted to quit so bad I quit smoking the same day I started using my Chantix. I only stayed on it for about 6 weeks. I don't have any cravings and love my smoke free life. I smoked 1 1/2 packs for 32 years. Everyone is different so use what you need and do as you will. I had great success on the Chantix, The wellbutrin, the patch and gum just did not do it for me. Wellbutrin worked for the time I was on it but once I stopped taking it I wanted to smoke again. The chantix works on the receptors in the brain so my brain liked what it was doing.
Good luck to all of you! Stay focused and use this site. It helped me like crazy during my first few months!
0 Kudos
kathy3

Day 13 for me using the patch. If it works for you go for it!!!
0 Kudos