cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

yonetta

Pregnant and SMOKING

I just joined this morning, I have been trying to taper my smoking alone, some days its good and other days it is REAL bad. I feel awful but I have been smoking over half of my life!!!!!!!!! So I kick myself for smoking with this blessing in my stomach which of course rushes me to my next one. I've tried leaving them at work but I either go back and get them or go to a friend who I know smokes and get one from them! I feel like a lost cause, even though I know this is harming my baby I have a hard time getting through the day without have at least 4, some days 7 and weekends as many as 10. Thanks for listening any advice or encouraging words? Thank you again and God bless
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
tara2

I agree with Karma. I think the best thing you can do is to abide by the 10 minute rule (i.e. when you want one, make yourself wait 10 minutes before giving in to that urge). In those 10 minutes, besides crusing this site for support, why not look at your ultrasound picture? Remind yourself of the reason why you absolutely MUST covercome this urge. I am not being mean with that, just trying to help. The only way I am getting through my quit now is because I have a reason to and that reason is my family. I tried to quit during my pregnancy too (my daughter is now 6) and was unable to. I did go from smoking a pack a day to only 5-10 also, and felt horrible everytime I lit up. I remember having the worst dreams that she was going to come out disformed or unhealthy, and thank goodness she did not - but can say how devastating it was of a thought. You have to do this now not only for that miracle in your belly, but also for sake of knowing that she/he is going to need momma around for a long time to take care of her/him...
0 Kudos
liz-szabo

I cover smoking-related issues for USA TODAY, and I'm writing about pregnant women or new mothers who are trying to quit smoking. It sounds like a really hard thing to do, and I applaud you for trying. If you think you might like to share your story in USA TODAY, please contact me at 703-854-5455 (1-800-3410, ext. 5455) or lszabo@usatoday.com. We can only quote people who are willing to tell me their full names. Thanks for your time, and good luck to you. It's really great that you are trying to make this sacrifice for your baby's healthy.
0 Kudos

It's hard to smoke period, but when you're stressed about it like you are now, it makes it even harder.

My advice is to watch the videos on the Become An Ex Plan, for some reason just knowing the physical reasons for wanting the cigarettes made it easier. Kind of like knowing that it's a short in the wiring that's causing your oil light to come on in your car rather than an actual need for oil, lol

I quit cold turkey two days ago and it's been really hard but what has helped me is fast forwarding in my mind past that one cigarette and imagining how I will feel.

This is what the image is like every time...I'm smelly, my throat is burning, my chest is aching, I'm coughing and now I've set myself up to want another one even more.

Also, I've come to view and treat the addiction like I would my children. If they were asking me for something that would hurt them..."Mom can we go play on the roof?" I would tell them "NO!" no matter how many times they asked. So maybe that will help.

Also, I noticed before when I tried to quit that usually when I did slip and have that cigarette it's because I rushed it into my mouth before thinking about it. So maybe if you make yourself really think about it, argue with your conscience about why having that cigarette is a good idea...or have a nonsmoker play that part and try to convince them and watch their face. The longer you delay, the better and you show yourself that it may be an addiction but you don't have to play, you can decide to wait...forever!

Good luck and we're here to support you!
0 Kudos