cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

debby4

Nausea :(

I know it's one of the most common side effects but it's really driving me nuts. I've been on Chantix since July 25th & quit as scheduled on August 1st--yippee. But as soon as i started with the full dose I get really sick to my stomach for about an hour. I guess that's not the worse thing in the world however it does make life difficult. I was so bothered by it that I quit takiing the pill for 1 1/2 days....the craving for a cancer stick was pretty bad but i persevered but also decided I preferred the Chantix to the cravings (at least this early in my quit). I always take the pill after I eat. i've tried waiting a little while, I've tried taking it in the middle of the meal, etc. I guess I'm looking for other suggestions. Will this go away? I can't imagine being sick for 3 months or more :(. Thanks for listening. Keep up the quits!
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Hi Debby, Sorry to hear you are having such bad nausea with the Chantix. I didn't really have that problem, but know an awful lot of people who did. They recommened that people take the pill with a banana or some yogurt. Or, eat the banana or yogurt and then take the pill a half hour later. Also, make sure you are drinking a full glass of water when you take the pill. I hope this helps you. If this doesn't help you, by all means, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. They should be able to recommend or perscribe something for the nausea. Best of luck to you and keep the quit.

Barb
d110
0 Kudos
miriam3

Hi Debby I am celebrating 5 months smoke-free. I was sick to my stomach for 12 weeks. Nothing made it better. Never self-medicate yourself by deciding to reduce the dosage. take chantix as prescribed, there is a purpose for that. Good luck and keep it up.
0 Kudos
laura45

Only two things worked for me with the morning pill...taking it in the middle of a bowl of cereal OR taking it right before I ate at least half of a banana. The evening pill was never a problem if I took it early with dinner. I do remember all those sleepless nights before I figured that out. Hope it gets better for you. I've heard some people take stomach medicine (for seasickness?) during the first month. Just keep having FUN and don't smoke. Not ever 😉

laura
15 months
0 Kudos
dawn8

I'm having the same problem. At first i was only having nausea in the morning. Then, last week it switched to evenings. To top it all off, I was just prescribed an antibiotic that causes nausea. I can't deal with that double whammy, so I've stopped taking the Chantix. I'm nervous as h*ll, but I'm not giving up. I haven't taken it since Monday morning and I haven't smoked. The cravings are ridiculous, but I'm staying strong. Maybe after the antibiotic, I can talk to the doctor about resuming the Chantix. I really don't want to, but I'll do whatever to remain smoke-free.
0 Kudos
prftangel

Hi Debby, I had the nausea so bad that I was in bed most of the day so I stopped taking it and went back to my Dr. and explained to him what was going on. I told him I had tried everything I could think of but nothing made a difference. He then asked me if I tried taking it with Coke. I laughed because that would have never crossed my mind but he told me to try it. So I started it again, taking it with Coke and I didn't have the nausea anymore, not even a little. That was the first time I was on it. I am now on it for the second time and the side effects are different. I only get the nausea when I have a cigarette, the insomnia is driving me a little crazy but I've noticed if I take the evening dose around dinner time it's not so bad, and I have had a few nightmares, but to me it's all worth it if I can stay smoke free. Today is my 3rd day without a cigarette and I'm very jittery and shaky but I'll get through it, I just need to stay busy and keep my mind occupied. Try it with the Coke and hopefully that will help you. Stay strong and congrats with the quit 🙂
0 Kudos
SaraSmile

And all that passes once your body gets used to the Chantix. A small price to pay in my book!
I was so sick in the beginning I threw up 3 days straight but it passes! I have 3 more weeks left and have been on it the recommended 12 weeks. That and becomeAnEx is the reason I can proudly state: I QUIT SMOKING 40 DAYS AGO! Hang in there, it's worth it!
Sara
Prosper in peace
0 Kudos