cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

bean5

I quit today and already feel great about my decision...

I am a 39 year old woman (and yes, lesbian-and involved with somebody) who has been smoking for 20 years and trying to quit for the last 10 years.  I quit today and already feel great about my decision.  I have beat lengthy cravings (which have been bearable thanks to nicotine gum--which I have found to be the best in comparison to the other methods I have tried: medication, cold-turkey, the patch, the E-Cigarette, and lozenges).  My girlfriend is an ex-smoker, and has definetly help motivate me to quit in the past, but this time it was ALL ME.  I think that is crucial--REALLY wanting to quit.  For me I just got so fed up with failing at quiting and so fed up of being a prisoner to cigarettes, that I decided to just "man up" and rip off the bandaid.  Like I mentioned I have tried to quit at least 7 other times, with success lasting no longer than 12 days.  The difference this time is not only do I really want this, but I also added regular morning workouts, changed my diet to one with less sugars and fats (which just gave me more energy, relaxed me, and helped me drop weight before I quit smoking), and I slowly introduced nicotine gum into my daily smoking routine in order to develop a "friendship" with the gum as I phased out my cigarettes for about 3 days.  I have noticed that  chewing the nicotine gum regularly is important as it just keeps the cravings away.  I found that in the past I would wait until I was in complete nicotine-withdrawal "freakout mode" before popping a piece of gum, and by then it was quite frankly too late--I wanted a cigarette or nothing else.  I also realize that cheating will only hurt my recovery and worse of all it will make me feel defeated--which is usually "green light" for me to start smoking again.  I am happy to find a "NON-SMOKING BUDDY" who is also a newbie to this and going through the same thing at relatively the same time.  If you are that someone or somebodies hit me up and feel free to add me to your "EX Friends".  Peace and good luck to all.

Tags (1)
9 Replies
fjpbanshee

Hope all is going well!!!

0 Kudos
Maoulida

Hi, I really like your quit story. Today I'd my day one. Yes, I can make it. My body feels hot and feels sleepy. I take bath every 2 hours. Looking forward to ending this long day.

I just quit today as well, and feel that I have nothing to do. Restless!!!

0 Kudos
ahkhippiechic

Congratulations on the best decision of your life.  This site has been super helpful for me and the elders will, I am sure, post lots of great links here for you to utilize.  I recommend reading all of them!  Keep on keeping on.. one day or one moment at a time, Not One Puff Ever!

LA 16DOF

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Thanks for telling your story. Keep up the good work--one day at a time. And welcome to Ex!

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX.  

If you hang around you will find that quitting is doable, many of us have.  Look forward to a new day and a new way.  It is up to you. You have come to the right place for a new day and a rebirth. This is all about you and what you are willing to do to be smoke free. Quitting smoking requires hard work.  It can be challenging at times but you will learn that it is doable if you adhere to NOPE not one puff ever no matter what. Start first, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  Education is the key to a successful quit.  Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

I also encourage you to read. Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.       

The link is here:  http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Go to http://www.becomeanex.org/how-to-quit-smoking.php#thl and get started. 

0 Kudos
elvan

JACKIE1-25-15

I didn't recognize any of the names here except for yours and ahkhippiechic  and maryfreecig‌ and then I took a closer look at the date of the original blog and it was written six years ago, not sure if any of those people are still here.

Ellen

ahkhippiechic

Wow that is so funny!  Wonder how I ended up commenting on it...weird thought it was new and hope she is still NOPE!  

0 Kudos

I just quit today and could use someone to chat with during this experience. 

Congrats on your quit date.

Lewis

0 Kudos