cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

randytaylor62

How do I prepare to quit

My name is Randy and I have been a smoker for 28 years. I have tried unsuccessfully to quit smoking a couple of times. I recently decided to quit for good and set a quit date for February 25. However, it seems that I am starting to smoke a little more now. What should I be doing during this time? Is this normal? Thanks for any help
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
randytaylor62

Thanks Sherry! I've tried everything but Chantix. I am going to use the patch again and really make this happen. Its a promise to my son and daughter and to myself. Thanks for making me feel better.
I guess its the pre quit jitters!
0 Kudos
tomee

I haven't quit yet, but I noticed, after attempting to not immediately smoke when I want to like the website says, that when I wait, then go have a cigarette, it's almost as though I don't want one after I wait. It's really neat to try, and I wish I would have earlier. I'm quitting without medicinal help. I've tried before, and this time, I'm excited for it, and that's the biggest difference. Randy, come the 25th, you'll be an EX.
0 Kudos
randytaylor62

Thanks Tomee, that will help!
0 Kudos
edith2

Setting a quit date would not have worked for me. I would not have been able to handle the build-up and anxiety. I'm not putting a quit date down, I'm just saying I don't think I could have handled one. I cut down on my smoking and started seriously thinking about quitting. I quit spur-of-the-moment. I bought a box of lozenges. As soon as I bought them, I wanted a cigarette. So I opened the box and started right away. I hated the first few days. But once I made it through the first day, I decided there was no turning back. I'm so glad I quit. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. I think just reading how other people began their quit will give you some ideas on how you'll begin yours. You'll have alot of support when you do.
0 Kudos
libby

If you want to do it cold turkey try to get your hands on the book "Easyway" by Alan Carr. He encourages you to smoke while you are reading it. By the end, and it's not a long book to read, I was ready to quit. Not the usual scare tactics that we already know. I quit for 4 years and stupidly picked one up again and smoked for about the next 10 years. I recently quit using Chantix. The Chantix is really good, but if your insurance won't cover it, it is expensive. Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
elaine10

I stopped smoking, very spur of the moment, on January 10. I had some Chantix on hand from a previous attempt last October, so I took that, but since it was spur of the moment, I did not start taking it until I stopped smoking. On that attempt, I lasted 3 weeks 2 days, but felt that I never knew a moment's peace, the whole time, and finally gave in on an extremely stressful day. Smoking again, actually felt comforting for a few days, but I also felt horrible that I had blown the exerted effort that I had put in for those 3+ weeks! But every time I vowed never to buy another pack, panic would set in, and right out I would go! Then, earlier this week, I found this site and was very drawn to it--especially the support available. Although I originally set my quit date for March 7, I moved back to this weekend. I was going on a church women's retreat, last night and today, and knew that would be a good time to start, as no one would be smoking there. I had my last cigarette at 4 pm, yesterday afternoon, but I pretty muchly chained smoked, all day yesterday, until then--not quite, but certainly a whole more than I had been. For me, anyway, I seem to get into panic mode, right before quit time, and smoke all the more! So in that way, spur of the moment is better, as Edith indicated, for me too. Anyway, so far, so good on the first 24 hours, smoke-free. Last night was rather intense, but I started taking the Chantix again, even though it did not seem to help much in January, but maybe it helped more than I realized--maybe I would never have made it as long as I did, without it, who knows? I also used Nicorette gum last night, but today, haven't had much problem with cravings, so far. I am sure they will come, over and over, and that this is just the calm before the next storm, but I am excited about starting over again, and with a lot of prayer, meditation, affirmations, Chantix(?), and the support of all the EX's on this site who are actually doing it, day after day, week after week, month after month, and even year after year, I am determined to make this quit my final quit, and confident that I can do it with all your support.

I am sure that you will do just fine, Randy, because of the commitment to yourself and your children and getting support here to get you through the rough times. Good luck and remember to stay positive! YOU CAN DO IT! WE CAN DO IT!
0 Kudos
randytaylor62

Thanks Elaine! Yes we can do it. With your motivation and the motivation of others I am considering moving up my quit date as I am getting anxious to get started. I hope that you are doing well and that you are armed with the necessary strength to get you through. One thing I know that I have to do is to make a list of all the triggers that will set me off and running to the smoke shop. I started jogging today and made a conscious effort to try and replace this habity that plagues me.I will do the same tomorrow, and the next day. They say to replace a negative habit with a positive one. It works. I am thinking of you now and I know that you will succeed.
0 Kudos
k-tague

The only thing that worked for me was to have an electric cigarette to get past the cravings. I used it like a cig the first few days but only use it for a single "hit" to get over the rough times now. After a month I am down to hitting it only once or twice a day. I figure in about a week I will not need it at all any more. The key is motivation. Good luck!
0 Kudos
andrew3

Randy I have been quit for one month. I used the Nicotine lozenge, actually store brand at 4 mg. I also used mint toothpicks I picked up in the dental Aisle. I only really needed 6-10 lozenge's to get me through the day depending on how much heavy lifting I was doing. I found the constant switching of the lozenge from cheek to cheek helped keep my mind off my habit. I also Found coming here and just reading the posts helped. One time I could not come tot he site, and my girlfriend took a picture with her phone of a post someone left me, and sent me it. That was a big help. Just keep positive, and know that after two weeks you will start to notice vast improvements. Once you start to see the benefits you have gotten, you will be able to use that knowledge to fight your cravings.
0 Kudos