cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

julie46

21 yrs smoking, started at 13, relearning adulthood as an EX-smoker- YIKES

Well, sad to say i started smoking when i was 13.. boredom, have tried a gazillion times to quit... the longest was six months.. during that time my husband and i split up.. more than likely because i was so hard to get along with.. the first week we were apart i started smoking again.. We are still together and happy, but still smoking as well.. Not too happy about that. I feel like i need to relearn how to live day to day since i have smoked all of my adult life.. Usually when i quit, i find myself steering clear of my hubby, that sort of defeats the purpose of marrying him... (you know, the whole till death do us part thing) Anybody have additional tips on how to coexist with those you love while quitting and relearning?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
katerina

Hey Julie, I completely understand your pain and the only advise I can give you is to tell you how I do it...I smoked from age 14, up until the day I quit and I am 27 years old now. I've been smoke free for 12 days, but I'm using the patch and I think that helps a whole lot...I also have obsessed with going to the gym and exercising because of the fear of gaining wait and that has helped me a lot. I've been wanting to lose weight for a long time now and by quitting smoking I feel like I've finally given my body a chance to be healthy and not dependent on cigarettes. I am a controlling person in general and since I've quit, I feel I have gained control over my live and I just don't want to let go of it. I've had two break downs so far- on the first one, which was a week ago, I actually cried for 15 minutes, but then I got up, put the patch on and in the next 15 min I'd completely forgotten about wanting a cigarette.
My husband is very understanding when I have a bad moment, but I haven't really been more bitchy to him than normal neither, lol... I would say just try to find a good habit to obsess with, kind of like replacement for smoking, but a good one. Well that's about it, I hope this helps a little and I hope to hear from you how is it coming along..Take care
0 Kudos
suzy7

Julie,
I don't know what to tell you. I have had to stay away from smoking friends for awhile until I had some control. Does he smoke in the house>? That would be easier if he didn't, otherwise I could control myself in other situations. Good Luck
0 Kudos