cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

shanna77

Be Healthy for my Children

Hello,

I just registered today and my quit date is September 15th. I am a mother of 3 young boys. I am currently taking high blood pressure medications and have been for years. I am ready to put down the cigarettes and start caring more about my health. I have also just joined weight watchers to try to help with the blood pressure. I have been thinking alot about my boys growing up without a mother and it scares me to death. So, I am very glad I joined this sight. Trying to do it on your own is so hard.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
rachel17

I read your discussion and decided to join too. I quit smoking once before for six years but it seems harder this time. My quit date is set for sept 4th. I'm wishing us both luck!
0 Kudos
shanna77

Good Luck to you!! Just remember we can do this. I have been using the tracking system to see where my triggers are. So, far mine are in the car and at home with my husband. He has also joined Ex so we can do this together. Let me know how it goes.
0 Kudos
mary62

Hi Shanna, I am also a mom - 2 boys. I am right with you --I NEED TO BE HEALTHY FOR MY CHILDREN! You are not alone here! I understand being scared about your kids growing up without a mom, but take it a step further. What would their life be like with a chronically ill mom? I am terrified that it is too late for me, what if I already did damage that cannot be undone? What if I cannot work? Will we lose the house? How would we manage? I know this sounds extreme & morose, but that is the true reality check that is keeping me away from cigarettes. I am also avoiding the people and places that trigger my habit. You need to understand now that other people who still smoke most likely will not help you to quit. Smokers love other smokers! So, look into the faces ( or carry photos ) of your boys & maybe with some willpower & a fresh stick of your favorite gum you will skip that smoke!! I am becoming that woman who sniffs smoke in the air at a kids baseball or football game & looks around with disgust!
0 Kudos
shanna77

Hi Mary,

No I don't think those feelings and thoughts are extreme at all. I have a major anxiety disorder. I can think the most awful things that could happen when going for tests.. So, when I do go that outcome isn't as bad. Two of the main people that I smoke with besides my husband. Is my Mom and my bestfriend. So last time I quit it was for a week. I basically hid in my house. I have stopped smoking at work which I did the last time. I never went back to smoking there. I am trying to take little steps until the big quit date. So, hopefully I won't be as stressed.
0 Kudos
mary62

I am exactly opposite. NOT ONE person who is close to me smokes. I am the closet smoker who fires one up as soon as my kids are out of sight. I never smoke in their presence, but they found empty packs in my car and I had to fess up. They were so sad & made me promise not to do it anymore. At work, almost everyone smokes - luckily it has to be outside. Now my challenge is the ride to work & to avoid the employee smoke area at work. Something else that works is that I like the super girly menthol slims & everyone at work is a Camel lover. Yuck! Good job to you for quitting at work!!!!! Doesn't your hair smell great all day without that smoke in it!! Carry gum & mints! Good luck to you!
0 Kudos
rachel17

Mary ,
I also am somewhat of a closet smoker. The only other smoker close to me is my mother and she absolutely has no plans to quit. the rest of my family, not including my children know that I smoke but I know they hate it. I never smoke around any of them, always finding ways to sneak away for a cig. Work is another story, I have plenty of fellow smokers at work always asking if I want to go outside for a break. Today is my first day. I'm going to avoid that area like it's the plague.
0 Kudos
rachel17

I have always been that woman. Every time I see someone smoking in a confined space with kids it drives me crazy. That of course makes me feel like the most enormous of hipocrates. Is it really any better to always be sneaking away trying to hide what I am, yet fooling no one. I want to put an end to the disconect between what I do and what I believe is right. Has anyone else felt like this?
0 Kudos
shanna77

Oh yes, I am very disgusted when I see people smoking around the kids in confined spaces. My Mom smokes in her house. But when my kids come over she has to smoke outside. Everytime I bring clothes home from my Moms house I have to re wash them cause everything smells like smoke. Just by smelling the cigarettes on clothing make me gag. Yet it doesn't bother me when I have smoke on my clothes cause I can't smell it. Well the only time I do smell it is if I get into an elevator after smoking in my car. Then I fell bad for the other people that have to smell it. Smoking just makes us feel bad no matter what. Phisically and emotionally!
0 Kudos