cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

shanna77

New and Using Chantix

Hi,

I have been taking Chantix for 11days now. With my quit date being May 2. I have had positive results so far. No cravings. I am having more problems with being bored. I have found that sun flower seeds are helpful. I am having vivid dreams. Not nightmares. Is anybody else having good dreams? I actually can't wait to go to sleep to find out what I am going to dream of next. Also, has anybody quit smoking with out going thru the whole 3 months? My husband and I are both taking Chantix and it is very pricey. Please let me know your thoughts.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
patty3

I quit March 23rd with Chantix. I never got the vivid dreams. Bummer, I was looking forward to them :). After a few weeks I started taking Chantix once a day in the morning as I was having problems sleeping. I stayed quit. Then I was feeling spacey so quit the Chantix all together. Only bought one months worth. I did find out later that the spacey was probably from quitting and not the Chantix. Look up side effects of quitting smoking so when things come up you know what it is from. People tend to blame everything on the Chantix when most of it is the nicotine withdrawal. When I went to my Doctor he told me that even after 4 weeks quit my body was still adjusting.

Good luck to both of you. It feels so good to be a non smoker. I also know that I will not mess up this quit. I can not be an occasional smoker (how I fooled myself before and started smoking again). I AM ONE CIGARETTE AWAY FROM ONE PACK A DAY.
0 Kudos
chrissy5

I Was Having Good Dreams Also. I Know I Couldn't Wait To Go To Sleep Neather. But Now I Kinda Miss That Because It Has Been One Month Since I Have Been Off Of The Chantix. I Quit Within One Month Of Taking Chantix And I Stopped Taking It After A Month, But Some People Need To Go Through The 12 Weeks. I Didn't I Was Determined To Stop And I Did I Started Taking The Chantix And I Picked My Quit Date Which Was At The Two Week Mark Then I Finished Taking The Chantix And That Was It. It All Depends How Strong You Are To Stop In The First Month. You Can Try To Do What I Did, But If You Start Smoking Again I Hope That You Will Go And Get Back On Chantix Again.
0 Kudos
christine2007

I quit 580 days ago by using Chantix. Take a look at my page for more info on my process. I also had BEAUTIFUL dreams and loved them but they didn't last long. I only experienced a little nausea if I took Chantix on an empty stomach. I'm always amused at some of the horror stories circulating around the web about Chantix.... LOL I think BIG TOBACCO isn't too happy that this compound works so well!!!!!

You are going to LOVE being quit! I love it and I LOVE saving the bucks, too!
0 Kudos
shanna77

I am feeling a little head fog. I just thought that was from the medicine. Since my husband and I are both doing it. I think we will do the whole month and buy a 1 month supply for the 2nd month and split it. But I guess i will see how it goes. Thanks
0 Kudos
nancy

Hello Shanna ,

If you're having trouble paying for the perscription, it may be possible to get them for free. Contact Pfizer or Perscription Solutions. As far as having the vivid dreams, absolutly normal. Read the side effects. I usually (or at least when I was younger) never experienced side effects. Now I have the passing gas every 5 minutes, Gas pains, constipation, vivid dreams, I used to get the nausea. So really , if that's all you get is the vivid dreams, your lucky. But even with all of the other side effects, I thank god for Science. Good luck ! And great job with realizing and being honest to know that smoking stinks and kills. Oh, and my daily phone calls from Chantix says that some ppl stay on Chantix for a year. I know I'm prolly one of those ppl who need a full year. Talk with a Doctor or with a Pharmacist on ideas for low-cost to free perscription help.

Oh talk about dreams , I was on-line and watching Martha Stuart cooking Asparugus and a bit later went to someones site and kept going to the utube sites on smoking. One of which showed if you smoke hundreds of cigarettes and where water , were ur lungs and u cook up the water how disgusting it was......I dreamt that night that ......I was yelling at ppl in my dream not to eat the asparagus !!! It is poison !!!! And when opening something that didn't even resemble asparaus when peeled open had , that tar inside.... Wow I need to stop watching U tube !!!
0 Kudos
dave20

Good luck with quitting. I've definately had very vivid dreams not nightmares. I've been stopped for 5 months now, and I haven't had many urges. On my 2nd refil of the scrip I cut back to 1 pill a day. On my 3rd and final refill I took 1 a day for a week then I cut the rest in half. I have been taking less because I'm afraid that the urges will be bad once its out of my system. But I really don't want to smoke anymore. I was on a cruise 4 weeks ago. I met a guy who said Chantix gave him atrial fibulation, he never had heart problems before. He was in his 60's though. In a way I am looking forward to stopping w/chantix. It is truely the easiest time I ever had quitting. CHANTIX ROCKS!!!!
0 Kudos
jan__tx

I too have quit using Chantix. I can only take the day dose because my dreams weren't so wonderful:)...and I love a good dream..lol..I quit my Chantix after I had quit for 30 days but had to start back up because I was either going to start back smoking if I didn't. I was obcessing wanting to smoke. My pastor had to take it 6 months to get a good quit..so I think it depends on the person. Just stay in touch w/your doctor because he will know what is best for you:) Stay w/it and good luck! I too am hooked on Ranch Sunflower seeds! lol
0 Kudos
thomas

Hey Shanna77
I'm on my third month pack and doing great so far. I think quiting is an individual thing. We all have our own reasons. Mine was the fact that they started costing too much. Could not see paying $350 a month just to smoke. I smoked 2 packs a day for 42 years. If i can quit on Chantix then anyone could. I continued all my triggers. I could not change my life that much all at once. So to all out there the pill really works. Also i enjoy the dreams. I was told about the vivid dreams before I started but I said that sound like a good thing to me. Can't wait untill I go to bed tonight.
0 Kudos
christine2007

Good post Thomas. I had exactly the same experience. But I wonder how we would have reacted had we been told some of the fairy tales or more appropriately - horror stories about suicide and night terrors... and so much other bunk. I think there are some people with psychological problems, mental health issues or who may be taking psychotropic medications that shouldn't be on ANY other meds who could have issues.

Fortunately I read the clinical information available BEFORE (IMHO) big tobacco decided to have scary stuff posted to keep the general public fearful of this tried and true medication. Chantix (marketed as Champix in EU) has been used for many years in Europe with great success. I'm SO THRILLED that I found this because nothing else worked for me... and I'm going on 1 year, 32 weeks, 4 days, 22 hours and 46 mins since I quit smoking and saved thousands of dollars. =D The best thing I ever did for myself!!!
0 Kudos