cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jo_3

A little advice needed

My husband and myself are going to quite smoking...the issue we are having is what do you suggest when you are at work and you get stressed and normally you would go out and have a smoke....or for him when you are at home and your teenager stress you out.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
myssi2

Hi Jo! And congratulations on the decision to quit!
As for stress, there are a few things; first deep breath (slowly in through the nose, out through the mouth)
Also going for a walk is another great one. Drink LOTS of ice water. Some folks even get a stress ball to squeeze.
Good Luck to you both!
0 Kudos
murphy638

I quit on September 5th. i am currently using the nicotine patch. the stress has not been an issue because i am still getting the nicotine. i chose the patch because i can put it on after a shower in the morning and other than a little tingleing on and off through the day i don't even notice it. before when i used other products they were always on my mind, such as when can i get another. i had about 4 to 8 serious cravings per day, that is down to 3 or 4 now. and thinking about inhailing on a smoke kinda bothers me. it sounds a litle crazy since i am breathing so good now. just don't listen to the voices in your head that tell you you deserve a smoke... or that "what is one more" voice... i have quit before, so i know i wonl't be out of the closet until i reach a year, maybe i won't be out for the rest of my like... we will see. just hang in there.
0 Kudos
jennie3

positive thinking can make a world of diffrence!
0 Kudos
dd_

Hi Jo,

I agree with everything that Myssi said (deep breaths, walks, lots of water). Sugar free gum (and candy) has helped me a ton as well. I now use that as my reward for finishing a meal or taking a break instead of using a cigarette. Good luck! You guys will do great!
0 Kudos
pj_

all of the suggestions below for handling stress are good.

my hubbie and i quit together too.

it has been the only thing that's kept both of us from falling off the wagon- we both know from past exprience of quitting other things like drinking and drugs- that if one falls the other will be right behind within seconds.

the only thing that's challenging about both us quitting at same time was that we were both very crabby for that first week- our friends would joke us and say "you guys haven't killed each other yet?"

anyways- i haven't found anyone else to talk to about the dynamics of having your spouse quit at the same time- so if you're wanting to vent or talk things thru- i'd love it 🙂

good luck!
we're doing it and i'm sure you guys can too!
0 Kudos