cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

debbie60

What's with the Dreams?

Last year I quit for 6 months using Chantix but started up again around Xmas when the family was all around and smoking in my house. So now I am trying again and am at three days. I think it is harder this time. Everybody talks about enjoying the dreams. My Dr. said I would have vivid dreams but they would be be good dreams. Well they're not. I have horrible violent, scary nightmares and they stick with me a long time after I wake up. has anybody else experienced these?
By the way, when I quit using the Chantix the first time, I didn't have any side affects or moodiness. I guess everybody is different. I also got the nausea every single time I took it for the whole 3 months.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
debbie60

Buying a house by yourself? That's awesome. You would definitely want to go into it smoke free. No more yellowed walls and stinky drapes. No more cigarette burns in the carpet. What a perfect motivation.

You shouldn't get anxiety about your quit date, you should look forward to it. If you don't set a date, you will put it off forever.

Yes my sense of taste has come back but my sense of smell came back messed up. Everything STINKS to me. I can't stand the smell of coffee and when I went to dinner at Applebees on Saturday, they brought out the baby back ribs with the BBQ sauce on them. The smell of the BBQ sauce turned my stomach and I couldn't eat anything. Wierd, huh?

Let me know when you set your date. Next Monday would be perfect!! LOL
0 Kudos
evon-barker

Girl I can relate!! The first time it worked great! Great dreams and no side effects at all! But I didn't stick with it. Now the second try...nightmares and nausea! and to add to that I'm still smoking after a month of it! I'm going to try to cold turkey today, still on the pill though. I have already gained 6 pounds and I smoke 5-6 cigs a day. Today I'm going for the exercise in the mornings to try and get over my need for the morning cig, we'll see.
0 Kudos
debbie60

I had the nightmare both times. I am at Day nine. You definitely have to go cold turkey. Even though I am past the worst of it, if I had cigarettes around, I would smoke them. You have to get rid of all of them and suffer through the first week. I gained 17 pounds the first time and I'm snacking more this time. But that's easier to take off than to have to try to quit smoking over and over. good luck to you.
0 Kudos
debbie60

Actually my life is going pretty good right now so I'm surprised with the violent dreams. But I had them last time too and I was stressed then.
This time around though the Chantix gives me a feeling of Euphoria during the day and energy galore, which I didn't get last time.
So when is your quit date?
0 Kudos
evon-barker

well my cold turkey day ended up, having two cigs, but not all at once, mostly just a couple puffs off of each. I'm really struggling with it. I just like the taste of the tobacco. I will keep trying, and trying, someday I know will be stronger than that cig! lol
0 Kudos
evon-barker

I haven't set mine yet either, I figure it will just happen one day I will even surprise myself! lol I'm gaining weight left and right too. But I hope it will be easier to lose weight once I can breath better and have more energy. I do love the energy that is growing with less and less smoking. It definately is an incentive! Good luck!!
0 Kudos
debbie60

Come on girls. If you don't set a date and you just say 'maybe I'll try today' or 'Maybe next week', then you are just going to make an excuse every single time not to do it. And even if you make up your mind to do it, you won't be able to do it with your cigs sitting there.
Take my word for it. I have refilled my Chantix so many times in the last 4 months and took them off and on and always made excuses not to quit smoking. I wasted all that money on Chantix AND cigarettes.
Finally I smoked up all my cigarettes and quit the next day. I'm on Day 9.
Forget the weight. Worry about that when you stop smoking for a couple weeks. Don't use that as an excuse too.
You too can do it. I have faith. I was smoking 3 packs a day and I'm doing it.
Start your Quit timer.
I have been quit for 1 Week, 1 Day, 21 hours, 21 minutes and 21 seconds (8 days). I have saved $72.00 by not smoking 533 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 20 hours and 25 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 6/16/2008 12:01 AM
0 Kudos
evon-barker

Yeah I don't want to give up the fight. But tell me what do non-smokers do on a break??? I can't figure out what to do with myself, I can't exercise every time I want to take a break, hellooo it's a break!! Help! what do you do? Another thing that is killing me is the fact that I am disabled and don't work, so keeping busy is hard, keeping my mind off of it is a challenge sometimes. I never have smoked inside my apartment though, so that helps, it's already a non smoking enviroment, always has been. Thanks Joni, for the words of encouragement.
0 Kudos
evon-barker

I think that's my biggest problem, half of me just doesn't want to quit. I enjoy smoking. I know your right, I just got to get rid of them completely and just do it! If I could just get through one whole day I don't think I would go back, I would just look forward. I see you are counting every second! lol. That is what I have been trying to do, just take it minute by minute, hour by hour. But sometimes I just want to scream.
0 Kudos