cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DOCmarkC

March Quitters from 2008

Please. For those of you like me who were here last year when the entire Becomeanex site had 500 members. Share what your year has been like. Let everyone know your successes, trial, failures and experiences so they know what to expect when they go through their first year.
Maybe next year we will have 60 new one-year quitters to share THEIR stories.

I know for myself, I resolved to learn about the mechanics and psychology of addiction. I also decided to become accountable to as many people as I could. I told EVERYONE I quit. I had wanted to quit forever and I kept waiting to get my ducks in a row. (It never happens). I tried saying I would quit on a certain date or time, but then I looked at all the cigarettes I had and thought that it would be a terrible waste to just throw them out. (Ya... it makes MUCH more sense to light them on fire I know.) Then I figured I would quit as soon as I ran out of cigarettes, but then I would panic with my last one and smoke it like it was leaving on the train in Casablanca. When it was gone, all I could do was think about it. Finally I decided to stop doing any such thing. I decided not to plan to quit, but to just quit. I woke up one morning and just didn't start. I walked around for quite a while with half a pack in my pocket and half a carton in my car. I just didn't take one out and light it. Each time I got a craving, I just didn't smoke "This" cigarette. I started blogging about what I had learned mostly because I wanted to become accountable to YOU people. I wouldn’t be able to pick one up after yelling from the rooftops that everyone can quit if they actually want to. Not making myself a hypocrite was one more force keeping me on my path to health.

Funny thing, after I quit for about a week, I tried putting my quit date on this websites tracking system but it wouldn't let me. It asked me questions about my life, stressors, medications, nicotine replacement plans etc and then told me I was not yet ready to quit. I found that funny as I had already done so.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DOCmarkC

Are there really no March quitters left from last year with anything to say?
0 Kudos
gridley513

Thanks for posting, it is inspiring to read from someone who is exactly a year ahead. Congrats!!!

I can definitely relate to your examples of "trying" to quit, but not really doing so. I feel like I did the same thing.. then just finally said "Enough!! I quit NOW." and really did it, didn't just think it like before. I didn't have a half a pack on me like you did.. but I am around them all the time and would have NO problem bumming one from any number of people at work. And while it has only been 9 days for me, I feel really strong about it.

Thanks for your post!
0 Kudos
paul2

Hey Doc, I did the same thing on the quit date, wanting to quit and knowing that it killing you and just keep on smoking and not waste them. As the price kept going up, kept buying them and I would tell the girls at the Smoke Shack after these are gone I'm quiting. (years go by) I guess when I got I eyes checked last time (4 weeks ago ) the nurse said my blood presure was high and she scared me. But I told her I just put out a cig and that is why it's high, but the Dr told me to come back that afternoon and the next mornging to have it checked again. I waited to smoke after it was checked and it still high (crap). Get this I had bought chantix back in January 09 and still waited for my quit day. So one day online cleaning out my e-mail and my wife had forward me Become an EX back in July and I hadn't opened it but I hadn't trashed it. Well I finally opened it, joined, WOW and a whole new world has been opened up to me...I found a whole new family of ex's that have gone though what I'm experiencing now...with in one hour I had to new friends wow, looked around the site and said I can do this what to I have to lose. Started the white pills and kept smoking but cutting back then came the last white pill so the blue pill was my Quit date, I know I would have gone back and smoked some but with out the support from the site and my new Quit bud's I would not be on day 26. The first 10 days was my hardest and when I reach out for help it was there. Kinda funny but serious, new members starting out and within 2 weeks giving advise, you just got to love it. Doc thanks for starting the March Quiter Club and to my new bud's keep up the good work. Oh yea, blood presure still high, phase one, I guess I'll get it checked.
0 Kudos
DOCmarkC

Well keep it up Paul. It gets easier and easier... I have no cravings or desire to smoke anymore. I never have anything but happy feelings and thoughts about smoking. at the same time I can tell that it would be EASY to go back to smoking if I DID decide to just "Try" one.
No chance of that.
0 Kudos
becka

I just found this site today and when I first tried to do my profile it told me the same thing as I have already quit and they didn't have a block for that one. I quit on March19th of this year and its been 15 days since I began. I hope you have a better afternoon. Becka.....
0 Kudos
becka

I'm glad to hear that you are serious about your quit. I know my catalyst was having such a hard time breathing. I fully expect that your blood pressure will eventually adjust and go down. Youre smart to get your blood pressure checked.Keep us posted on how you get along.Becka.......
0 Kudos