cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

becky16

Why I Quit Smoking

I thought I would share with all of you the reason why I finally quit smoking. Besides quitting for all the reasons mentioned on here, I quit because of a little mentioned fact. Smoking plays havoc with your eyesight. Besides making your eyesight worse, it is the major contribution to eye diseases.
Both my parents were diagnosed with Dreusden disease (dry eye) and Macular Degeneration. My mother who smoked some, is totally blind and has glucoma (she does not have diabetes). My Dad, who never smoked, but worked in an office where smoking was allowed, is almost blind. Just before I quit smoking I was diagnosed with both diseases. My chances of going blind are pretty much a sure bet. By quitting, I may have been fortunate enough to have delayed the process for a few of years. I watch my parents struggle with loosing their eyesight. My mother, an artist, can no longer create the beautiful paintings, her talent going to waste. My Dad, an engineering inventor, had to give up his work at an early age, again wasting his talent and our loss since he was a valuable inventor in the medical, and enviornmental fields.
I can only hope that those still smoking will realize that they are not only destroying their own eyesight, but that of others living with them. It's known now that Macular Degeneration will strike approximately 50% of people over 60....and there is no cure.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
doreen1

Wow! Thanks for sharing your story, Becky. I'm sorry you and your parents are having to go through all of this. Its just one more reason to add to the growing list of WHY PEOPLE SHOULD QUIT SMOKING! May God Bless and guide you all through this rough time in your lives..........Doreen 🙂
0 Kudos
becky16

Thank you for your blessing....I really appreciate it. I only wanted to let people know that there are other reasons to quit smoking which are not mentioned. The more aware people are about this destructive behavior the more they may want to quit. What really got me about Macular Degeneration is the 50% of people over 60 getting this. That is half the older population and that is if they don't die from a heart attack or a type of cancer! It's scary...
0 Kudos