cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mrs.-u

Living with a Smoker

Hey everyone! I am new to the group. I have been trying to quit for a few months now. My husband is a smoker who smokes in the house. Having the smell of smoke and the cigarettes so easily accessible is so hard when trying to quit! I always seem to give in to the temptation. Anyone have any suggestions or anyone else dealing with the same issue?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
sheila7

Hi Mrs. U,

I am living with the same situation. My husband knows that I have to quit smoking for health reasons. I simply can't breathe anymore. The good thing is I work and he doesn't (at the moment). We live 60 miles from town so he can't go get any cigarettes, but his brother lives with us and he smokes. I am not buying them or bringing them home, but he keeps borrowing from his brother. I know eventually his brother will get irritated with supporting his habbit.

I feel kinda bad because I know I can't force him to stop if he is not ready. At the same time, I can't bring them home, or I will be tempted. I am not very tempted to ask his brother. I'm only on day 4 of not smoking, but whenever he comes in the room after smoking, I can smell it! It is difficult becauese I kinda see it as not being fair - he wasn't having problems with breathing.

I figure I can't expect the doctors to make me feel better with breathing if I keep irritating the situation with smoke. So, if I want to breathe, I better quit. My husband understands and isn't mad because I'm not buying them. He knows when he starts working, he can buy his own. In the meantime, I'm not using my hard earned money to buy something for him that I am trying to give up.

It is difficult, but I know it can be done. I've heard of people doing it before. 1 quits and the other doesn't. If you are truly ready to quit, I believe you will do it for YOU! Good luck and remember there is tons of help here!
0 Kudos
melro1973

My fiance is actually one of the reasons I quit smoking. We are getting married March 6. He will turn 40 in March; I will turn 36. I feel like we met each other too late in life. I don't expect either one of us to live long enough to have a 50th wedding anniversary. He chain smokes whenever he has the opportunity and smokes without realizing he's smoking. His sinuses ALWAYS bother him and he has a terrrible cough and a weird heartbeat. He is a very intelligent man, but always says "I just don't feel good" instead of realizing these are side effects from smoking so damn much. I've been trying to tell him I want him around as long as possible, but what good was it to say that when I was still smoking? I have not had a cigarette since New Year's Eve. Out of respect for me, he is no longer smoking in the house (we haven't smoked in the car since buying a new one in October). This has cut him down from over 2 packs a day to probably less than 1/2 a pack a day. I am hopeful, but I know this is going to be a harder road for him than it has been for me.
0 Kudos