cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

fishwackette

Weight verses doseage?

Hello All ---

Can anyone lend personal insight into weight and dosage? I'm 103#, and wondering about other folks that aren't in the normal weight/dosage bell curve? I am more than willing to creep up, halving my dose to check reactions, then increase to normal doses.

Thanks

Missfishwackette
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
claudia2

I would only do what your Dr. Ordered or call your local pharmacy and ask them. You wouldn't want to take something that was not suitable for your weight.
I haven't heard this come up in discussion with Chantix yet.'
I hope you get the correct answer you are do great with your quit.
0 Kudos
fishwackette

Thank you Claudia, for your feedback. My script is on it's way through the mail, and when I get the code # I'll pop over to the Chantix website and give a holler. Then check with a pharmacy tech. I found with my celexa, starting half of the dosage, and then increasing after a week was much better, full dose was totally vegged.

Fishingly yours --

wack
0 Kudos
tigs

Depending on how good your pharmacist is, I would definitely check with your pharmacist (not the tech! - they don't have the education the pharmacist does. Besides, a good tech will probably refer you to the pharmacist). It is possible, since the primary effect is on the brain/nervous system itself, that weight makes much less difference with Chantix than with some other meds (Brain is about the same weight/size in everyone), but I really don't know. If you have an excellent pharmacist, I would talk to them first. If you don't, then talk to your doc. And follow his/her recommendations.
0 Kudos
claudia2

One more thing that I might add about Chantix. They have a wonderful program to sign up for when your script arrives, I encourage you to do so. I get two daily calls from them and I have to go online and do a daily assignment.....very easy. I know that Chantix is a Pfizer product and my daughter works for Pfizer and they do have great plans for people who cannot pay.
0 Kudos
gail3

According to their literature, it's not supposed to matter about a person's weight. i'm on the lighter side myself. i experienced some pretty wild side effects the first 3 weeks but they tapered off - only the odd dreams remained. and i had to make absolute sure that i ate some food before taking Chantix or i got nausea pretty badly. i kept stomach aids handy in case, but with food it was ok. i don't think you need to worry about your weight being an issue, though. any reactions you get are probably not about that. i experienced some nervousness and sweats initially. nothing too weird. good luck.
0 Kudos
fishwackette

Many Thanks to Gail, and all who helped with my question!!

Miss fishwackette
0 Kudos
nancy-bond

Just echoing what Gail said. It's really, REALLY important to take this with food as it caused nausea AND vomiting for me when I didn't, at full dose. Just a word of caution. 🙂 I'm *27* days smoke-free and really happy about it. I can't say enough good things about this med.
0 Kudos
_c_

Since I have felt so good on Chantix, I haven't had the cravings/munchies and my weight has stayed constant, even on the full dosage. You can take your time and experiment to see what works best for you. I also exercise every day, which is a huge help with both stress and keeping my weight down.
0 Kudos
nancy

Chantix aren't scored pills(they don't have the line down the middle) I would ask if you could cut them but I don't think so. They do perscribe .5mg and they may even have some scored ones. idk. Please ask a Dr. or pharmasist.
0 Kudos