cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tracey2

Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking

Chicken Pot Pie
This is not a pie. If it comes in a pie, it's not PA Dutch!!!
2 whole chicken breasts, skin and bones for flavor
saffron for color
4 potatoes peeled and quartered
1 c. milk with 1 egg beaten in it
2-3 c. flour

Cook the chicken in a large Dutch oven with salt and a pinch of saffron until done, about 1 hr. Remove from broth. Reserve broth. Remove skin and bones when cool and return to broth. Add potatoes and salt and pepper to taste.You want to make sure there is enough broth to accomade noodles. Add more water if you need. Bring chicken and potatoes to a boil, reduce heat and cook. Now you want to make noodles to add to this. Cook this for about 20 minutes before you add the noodles that you will be making.
Pour milk mixture into bowl. Add a pinch of salt. Add enough flour to form a soft, workable dough. Take about half of that dough and roll it out on a floured surface. You can roll it thick or thin, however you like your noodles. Cut this dough into squares. Bring your chicken and potatoes to a gentle boil. Slowly add your dough squares to this. Be careful it has a tendency to cook over. Continue to roll out and cut into squares and add to chicken until all the noodles are made. Reduce heat and cook for another 10 minutes or until noodles are done.

Deviled Eggs
12 eggs
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
squirt of mustard
1+tbsp mayonnaise
1+tbsp sweet pickle relish
salt and pepper to taste

Cover eggs with water and bring to a boil. Boil eggs for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and rinse immediately in cold water several times and then let set in ice water. This helps the shell come off easier. Peel eggs. Cut in half and place yolk in a separate container. If you don't have a dish for the cut eggs you can place them in cupcake containers. Now mash the yolks. I just use a fork. Add all the ingredients. I start on the short side of the mayo and relish and add more until I get a creamy consistancy, not runny, when you mix it. Once all ingredients mixed take about a tsp of this and place in the empty yolk hole. I sprinkle paprika over this to make them look pretty.

Whoopie Pies
1 c shortening
2 c sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1c hot water
1 c cocoa
4 heaping c flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 c sour milk.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cream shortening with sugar; add eggs and beat. Add sour milk and vanilla and mix. Mix flour and cocoa to mixture. Beat. Dissolve soda in hot water and add last. This is to be a thick mixture. I typically have to add about 6 c flour not 4. In the end you need to stir this in by hand. Drop by tablespoons on a cookie sheet. Leave room for them to "grow". Bake for about 8 minutes. Cool on wire rack. When cool, frost and create a cookie.
Frosting:
1/4c butter/margarine
1 tsp vanilla
4 c 10x sugar
2-3 tbsp milk
cream butter, vanilla, and 1 tsp milk, slowly add 10x sugar. Add milk as needed to create a spreading consistancy
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
david-hibling

ok lay a place and forget the diet EXTRA HELPINGS for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
tracey2

Honey, you'll need to loosen your belt, too. There is no dieting in Dutch country. We love our fat!!
0 Kudos
barbara42

i can not wait to try these, thank you for the recipe and i do not mind the no dieting peace!
0 Kudos